• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How much weight should I use?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MattB

Sep 1, 2010
I'm about 5'6" and around 135 pounds. I use a 7mm wetsuit because the water is cold to be in around here, (I live in michigan). I'm just getting started into freediving so I'll probably only dive to around 20-30 feet and i was just wondering how much weight i should use.

Make sure you are neutral about 15 ft with full lung so you'll float up in emergency. This also depends on how buoyant your wetsuit and accessories are. Believe it or not wearing gloves and socks would add quite a bit extra buoyancy, too! They just trap more air (that gives you warmth). Unfortunately this takes a bit trial and error. Start lighter first and gradually adding more. But generally the less the better.

My husband is about your weight but he is 5'5'' and he uses 9 to 10 Lbs... His wetsuit is a 3m... So you could always start with 10 LBs. and see how that goes...we bought 2 big 5Lb weights and they make you tilt and it feels different so we didn't like that so we changed... We prefer using just a couple of 2Lb and 3Lb weights and have an equal balance around our belts and it feels much better under water...

we dive around 30 feet too since we just started freediving about 2-3 months ago... we always have to go all the way to the bottom and he does fine with his weights...

when my husband dives down and reaches half way he is able to stay still and keep descending slowly without moving...

I think the test is if you are putting too much weight and you are on the top of the water and you are sinking because of your weights then you are using too much weights... you should be able to float when you are at the top... so be careful with that... one newbie to a newbie have fun and be safe...

Thanks to both of you guys. Right now I have some 5 and 4lb weights but I'll look on ebay or something for some smaller sizes. I'm also in freshwater so I need more weight than usual as well.

Hi Matt

Just reading through this I am also new with freediving and adjusting weights.

However I think you may have it wrong about fresh water as this has lower density than seawater so therefore less supportive so for fresh water you would LESS rather than more weights.

take care

Tim

I'm quite a bit bigger than you guys, but it may be useful none the less. I'm ~200 lbs and 6'1". With my 7mm suit I use 22 lbs and am neutral at ~30 feet in salt water. With a 3mm suit I'm neutral at about the same depth with ~11 lbs.

I also carry 22lb. I use it for spear fishing in the sea - like to be able to stay on the bottom after about 12ft. I'm around 250lb, and wear a 5mm spearo wet suit. Rootbeer's suggestion to start light and gradually add weight makes a lot of sense - it could be quite dangerous to put on way too much. I think I started with about 8 or 10lb but it wasn't enough, I gradually built upto to 20lb, which I used for several months but always felt like I need a tad more - so I eventually added a little 2lb weight. 22lb suits me fine, and has done for several years now.

Yes, tireetim is right, freshwater is less supportive than saltwater (think of the Dead Sea), so less weight required for that. Thicker wetsuits (like 7mm) are more buoyant than thinner wetsuit (5mm/3mm).

Well thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll just have to do trial and error. I was mixed up about the saltwater freshwater thing as well ha ha. Ive decided to be neutral at like 15 feet to be safe. Thanks for all the help!
Posted via Mobile Device

always consider the distribution of that weight too as it makes a difference.

with 5mm I have 3kg in a weight vest, 4.5 kg on a belt and 2 X 250g ankle weights for a neutral 7 meter.

I'm comfortable to fish to 12 meters with this.

In shallow water I add 1kg to the vest and in 10 meters plus remove 1 kg from the belt and the ankle weights as the buoyancy in my legs seems to go at depths post 10 meters anyway.

I remove weight from the belt and not the vest as I prefer weight high up to assist the duckdive.

At any time I can drop my quick release belt and lose at least half the weight becoming buoyant very quickly. Important safety for myself if below 15 meters and hitting a fish at the end of a dive.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm just going to experiment to see how much I'll need to use.

myfish is right. Weight distribution matters too... Weight belt placed on waist and hip makes world of difference. myfish, can you lend us info on your weight vest (brand, where you get it from, etc), if you don't mind?

I'm 5'9" and weigh about 170lbs. I wear 8-9lbs with a 5mm suit in salt water. I always wear neoprene socks and glove as I'm sure you will too. I'm neutral at 30 feet with full lungs. I dunno about 15 feet. That seems a bit too heavy to me. If I want to hang out at 20 or something I'll grab a rock on the bottom. If your spearing then you may feel you need more weight for you aspettos, but you will be decreasing your safety margin

The most important thing is that if you blow out all your air at the surface you should still float.

I'd suggest being neutral a bit deeper. Diving 20-30 feet I reckon you want to be neutral at about 20-23 feet - this will be a lot safer. To check buoyancy, go to that depth and starfish, once you're neutral you won't go up or down. Remember to take your normal full breath that you dive on while testing buoyancy.

this is really too much gear dependant and of your body structure

I'm 183 cm (~6') and weigh ~82kg (170lbs) - with my 5mm 2 part suit I use 8kg (~16-17lbs) pounds and I'm still positivelly bouyant @ 15ft...

Just 3 tips:
ALWAYS put your fins on first, then the weight belt
start with low weights (like 8lbs), then use more, if you find it too dificult, and are still bouyant at the bottom of your dives
and last but not least, it's much easier to fight bouyancy than gravity

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT