• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to Gyotaku

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

blaiz

Apr 8, 2008
Ok... once again, Im not sure that this is the appropriate place for this but i figured it was close. Gyotaku isnt really a DIY hunting accessory. I didnt want to offend any non-spearos in the Beach bar so I figured this was as good a place as any. That being said I apologize to the higher powers if they need to move it:blackeye

I had a bit of interest when I posted "my first successful gyotaku" so I figured I would do a little tutorial for those interested in trying there own. DISCLAIMER The fallowing techniques are ones that I personally use. My opinions and techniques are not necessarily the same as the true "professional" gyotaku artists.:)

Lets get started:

Gyotaku is an old Japanese art form. "gyo" meaning fish and "taku" meaning rubbing or impression.

Step 1: When a fish has been caught that one might consider a "trophy" or even just want to save a symbol from a memorial dive or trip, this fish is a perfect candidate for a Gyotaku. Make sure to take the fish whole (do not gut or scale!) When ready to make your print rinse fish clean of any slime and pat dry with a paper towel or cloth. Place fish on newspaper or clean workplace with the side you are going to print UP.(Pic 1, Note key element for successful gyotaku in top center of pic.... ice cold frosty mug filled with a black and tan:friday)

Step 2: I use toothpicks to prop fins out or open. Other techniques I have heard work well is using little foam blocks to hold fins up. You dont want to have to move anything once the fish has been painted. (pic 2)

Step 3: (pic 3)Once fish is positioned the way you want it to print you may now brush on the ink for the print. I use a water based acrylic paint. This enables you to rinse the fish off once you are finished and proceed to the kitchen with it. No wasted catch! The paint shown in the image is white but I did my print w/black (which turned out a bit better). The process is the same, just switch the white paint for black. I recommend black paint on white fabric for your first few prints.

Keep the paint fairly "watered down." I dip the brush in water before the paint to insure that the paint stays thin and doesnt dry too fast. You want to do this as quickly and evenly as possible. Once the fish is fully covered take a damp paper towel and blot the whole fish. This gets rid of any brush strokes in the paint. Take care to not take off too much paint. finally take all the paint off of the eye of the fish as this detail will be painted in later. Also take paint off of any wound (caused by gaff or spear) you may also paint this part in later.

Step 4: Place cloth over painted fish (Pic 4) I found a bed sheet at my local salvation army that has worked very well. Im not sure what type of fabric it is but the knit is very small. Im thinking it must by a cotton and polyester mix. Traditional Gyotaku is done with rice paper but I havnt done too many with the rice paper...Yet! Be sure to iron your fabric before you print. Any crease or fold in the fabric will show up in the print either as a dark line or a light one.

Take care to place the fabric straight down on your fish centering it at the same time. Next use your hands to press the fabric on the fish evenly. I start at the head and work my way to the tail. I usually get the body finished first and then use my fingers to press the fins and tail. Once your fabric is placed on the fish do not pull it off and try to move it. You will never get it in the same position and may as well start over.

Once you are satisfied that the whole fish has been printed carefully peel the fabric off.

Step 5: (pic 5) Stretch your print on a canvas frame. I buy ready-milled canvas frame pieces at a local hardware store. With these you are able to make just about any sized canvas. Since my fabric is relatively thin I stretch an under-layer first and then the print on top.

Step 6: Paint in the color, eye, and other detail. For this I have used water color pencils and acrylic paint. The paint works the best. Be sure to use very light, watered down coloring. Think of it as dying the fabric as apposed to painting on top of it. You want to be sure that the black print will show up under your color. Paint in the eye. You can also use black and touch up any part of the print that didnt print well the first time. I usually take the black and outline the fins and the edges of the print before I color.

Hope this isnt too confusing. Keep in mind that I am very new to this art. I am still learning as I go. These are basic techniques that should be taken in stride. Feel free to experiment and test other techniques. If you find one that works well post it here!

Aloha

P.S. I would love to see some of your gyotaku as well. Post Pics!

PPS if there are any gyotaku artists that would like to comment on this or give some constructive criticism :)please do so!

Attachments

• h2gyotaku1.jpg
    h2gyotaku1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 462
  • h2gyotaku2.jpg
    h2gyotaku2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 406
  • h2gyotaku3.jpg
    h2gyotaku3.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 423
  • h2gyotaku4.jpg
    h2gyotaku4.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 460
  • h2gyotaku6.jpg
    h2gyotaku6.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 619
Heres the finished product

This is a "barred jack" or papio. The fork length was 18." The reason I printed this one is because 1 its pretty big for the particular speceis and 2 we got into a school of about 100 of them which is really rare here in Hawaii. The gyotaku is a symbol of that dive.

Aloha

Attachments

• h2gyotaku7.jpg
    h2gyotaku7.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 547
Here is my first successful attempt on rice paper...well fairly successful.

The print came out awesome, and the texture of the rice paper is really cool but I kind of messed up on the coloring. I found that its sort of like painting w/ watercolor. YOu have to paint the highlights first which is the opposite of most mediums.

This is a Mu (Bigeye Emperor)

P.s. Sorry about the blurry shot

Attachments

• gyotaku mu2 4 web.jpg
    gyotaku mu2 4 web.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 844
Ho a barred papio. yah i cought one of those before and i got mine printed also.lol. how big was that one?

Ho a barred papio. yah i cought one of those before and i got mine printed also.lol. how big was that one?

It was only about 5 or 6 lbs but we got three that night. We got rushed by a school of about 150 of them. It was pretty cool.

Dude, you are a good artist to be able to paint them like that. Very impressive.

^^for sure.. yours looks just as good as mines i have and i paid well over $100(not framed). btw what part of Hawaii you from? im guessing not oahu(since you saw that much bared at one time)?

^^for sure.. yours looks just as good as mines i have and i paid well over $100(not framed). btw what part of Hawaii you from? im guessing not oahu(since you saw that much bared at one time)?

Ha, yeah Im from Kauai originally but now I live on Maui.

Here is another print for those of you still interested. This is another moana ukali. I did not shoot this one, a buddy of mine did and left it in my cooler. He begged me to make a print for him so I took eating the fish as payment:blackeye

This one is actually an inch and a half bigger than my first one printed. These colors are close to what they would look like under water. Which is funny because as you can see they are blue, after you shoot them they turn purple and pink. beautiful fish, even better eating. steamed it in miso, sugar, green onions, rice vinegar, and ginger.

Hope you enjoy, aloha.

Attachments

• Moana Ukali.jpg
    Moana Ukali.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 511
Fascinating! I enjoy the original print the most. But, the artwork is clearly from a skilled hand. Thanks for showing us. Karma at ya. :king

Those look great. You definitely know what you're doing. Definitely inspirational. i might just have to give it a try...

wickd stuff... i'd end up wtih either a good original print..or a shoddy 5yr old's painting at the end :p

guess ill have to do the print and send it your way for finishing ;)

Been slacking for a while. Here are some of my latest Gyotakus

The first one is a pair of Bluefin trevally or Omilu, the second is a smalltooth jobfish or wahanui. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• Omilus.jpg
    Omilus.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 610
  • Wahanui.jpg
    Wahanui.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 419
I'm truely impressed. I going to try. My wife is a Primary School Principal so's I've got scads of acrylic paints at home! What a way to document and remember hunts (I'll probably collage in pictures as well). :friday

My daughter's preschool has the kids do 'em up on T-Shirts for Father's Day. While the quality of the print isn't up to your standards, you can't beat the love.

My daughter's preschool has the kids do 'em up on T-Shirts for Father's Day. While the quality of the print isn't up to your standards, you can't beat the love.

Well... Heres some more preschool love!:)

12 lb uku (grey snapper, green jobfish)

Attachments

• Airport Uku gyotak.jpg
    Airport Uku gyotak.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 519
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT