• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to take off fish from spear?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

proca90

Nov 4, 2009
I have been shooting with pneumatic speargun so far. Now I would like to buy traditional one with sling. In my previous speargun tip was connected on thread, so it was easy to take off the fish, I just twist off the tip from shaft and I could get to the fish with no problems.

What to do, if tip is integrated with shaft... (it is all in one piece).
For example shaft like this Beuchat Tahitian shaft 6mm Inox

I didn't find anything about it.

Attachments

• P1020233(1)[1].JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 337
when the spear has a integrated flopper you just close up the flopper and push it back through the fish, twisting it as you go. If it gets stuck push back in a little and then out again, twisting.

Be sure to brain (kill) the fish first though.

Good luck

Reactions: spaghetti
Or, if you don't have a QR clip on your gun, you can pull the spear right through the fish, so that the fish is now on the shooting line, then push the spear (point first) back through the same hole it came through.

Reactions: podge

I thought that there are some easier ways to do it. I'm imagining now fat and huge grouper and guy who is pushing back spear through it. Mission imposible!

Just tell me, how long does it take?

Now I'm more convinced to attach bungee, and some QR clip just in case of big fish.

Thanks for answers.
[ame][/ame]

Why are you not convinced to fit a quick release clip when thousands of spearfisherman use one?
Big game fishing clips are immensely strong!!
My spear line has a breaking strength of 175lb my clip is rated at 500lb.

i spearfish a lot. about twice a year I can't get a spear out as described. when that happens I cut my dyneema reel line where it meets the mono hoop, pull the spear out and re-tie the spear.

I don't like to use clips and swivels etc.

Yep, twisting the shaft as you pull it back through the fish is the way to go. Works even when you've hit the spine or (mostly) the head. Pushing the whole shaft through, turning it around and trying to find the right way back through the fish takes forever and you usually end up making a new hole, which means the shooing line is now hooked through the fish in 2 directions.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…