• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to tell water depth when stalking on surface

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SpearoNut1956

Sep 23, 2013
Hi everyone is there a way to tell the water depth you are at while you are stalking on the surface ? Or a way to know that your target is in range when spearing from the surface.Our fish here in the fresh water lakes are not usualy deeper than 25 feet so most can be taken from a surface stock..Thanks..

Download the Neptonics app on your smartphone.

I find it's accurate to within a ft or two!!

I use it to find suitable Freedive locations / depths and pre-tie off my rope length to the available depth and it's uncanny how accurate the nautical charts are!

I get under the water and it's like I've already seen it before, because if you study the charts it's like you're already familiar with the terrain.

Thanks Apneaddict i was thinking of gettong one of those little handheld depth finders looks like a little mag light.could snap it to wrist and when you are curious about the depth just point it down and press the button.Still have an old l/g rumour phone so no smart phone.I have 2 wraps on my gun and if the spear comes up short guess its to deep lol.

Or... Seeing as this is a Freedive / apnea forum... You COULD actually hold your breath and submerge to get the fish / shot off!!

Spearonut,
use the good old training method. Down - Up - down - up - down - up
What depth do you fish in? (do you see bottom contour?)

My biggest problem is that I have to know the depth when I dont see the bottom. Just blue. And then, at around 10-15m deep I start seeing some details of the floor: white is sand, choopy dark is rocks, curved dark is grass, etc.

Navionics is good too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Navionics is good too!

In planning stage - it is.
But how doable is it in realtime when spearfishing? I have a Garmin with g2 depth charts, but its a pain to swim to the float, get the device, turn it on, check the area, put it back, etc etc.

I use Navionics all the time where I live to aid ( with the use of nav markers ) in guiding me in the right direction when out fishing in jervis bay at night. It hasn't let me down yet. I've spearfished up and down the coast from Eden to Gold Coast and every place I've looked it it's been accurate to about a meter or so.

I have an idea that I have been thinking about trying. Humminbird makes a wireless sonar device that it markets to fishermen - SmartCast. They cast it out from a fishing rod and it floats on the surface and transmits a signal to a rod mounted waterproof screen that gives you the information like depth and I think it even shows fish! How cool. Get one of those - attach one end to your speargun and the other to your dive float. You may need to rig some type of mount to your gun or body but it seems like a pretty cool use for such a device. Depth and fish will be a really big help in areas that have poor visibility.
Here's a link to the device sold on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000752MKY/?tag=deeperbcom-20

Do you have a link to that app? I can't find it...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…