• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to transport carbon fins whit an air plane

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

amihov

Aug 24, 2006
Hi to all this may be a stupid question but i am going on vacation and i want to take my fins whit me. Before i use to carry everything now i am afraid that they want let me take them whit me inside the plane. If anybody has some experience please share it .
Thank you .
Alex

I use a long Cressi dive bag. Put an old pair of Gara 2000's ( plasti-fins ) in the outside fin pockets. The treasured C4 Mustangs go inside the bag, but right next to the Garas. Rolled up wetsuit inbetween the Mustangs...some old T-shirts and shorts ( i.e. my travel wardrobe ) sitting on the top edge of the fins. This has worked so far.

I just wrap each fin separately then together in bubble wrap. Also make sure to have the staff at check in label the baggage as fragile. And it may be obvious, but don't pack your fins with your weights!:rcard

Happy travels:)

I wrap them up in two towels but not the wet suit as they might pierce through the smooth skin. Indeed, i ask at check it to have 3-5 stickers ALL around the bag, so it's visible from 100m away that it's fragile!!! Still when i open up the bag i get very nervous...

when i took my fins with me on the plane to sydney, (i have C4 falcons) i wrapped them up in towels them put them in the fins bag and i brought them on with me because they are also a good conversation starter lol

What about the size restriction for hand luggage. How long ago was that.

I always take them with me, as my hand baggage. My mono as well (WW, largest model). Last time in April this year from UK to the Azores. About 80% of the time I have no problems and I stick it behind the last seat. In the remaining 20% I have to presuade staff on the plane that I can fit my gear into overhead lockers (and I can). Monofin bag can give wrong impression of monofin size.

Only on one occassion I had to give my monofin to be taken bellow the deck, but the crew did take care when storing it. Security guy insisted that it was not safe to take mono into the cabin, being sharp object. (I always have this image of me threatening the stewardess with my monofin under her throat. On the more serious side, perhaps he was right. You could break monofin into smaller sharp pieces.)
Later, on the very same flight, they served us metal cutlery.

I hope that all will work ok. I will be looking for a large army bag and i will wrap them whit bubble wrap and i will put them in a box. Getting them on the plain can be tricking when you are taking international flight from Canada. I will check all the available option cause i have to go true customs.

I take a long peice of string, turn it into a shoulder strap by going through the toe of each footpocket, using some knots to tie the fins together tip to footpocket and carry them on. No bag necessary, and everyone can see what a cool freediver you are. Damn near left them at security once while wrestling with all the gear my wife and two daughters had brought along.

g.

I carry my C4 80 on my hands always, am always afraid they would break it, they have managed to break almost everything else.
Disasembling them, and putting them inside something hard while covered by bubble wrap around it would be my thinking to let them transport it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT