• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How was everyones summer?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

messey

Mar 20, 2006
Hey everyone i just got back from sask and theres nothing on here about you guys diving over the summer. You didn't miss much in sask the vis was horrible in most lakes because of the high water levels and we couldn't find much for fish till august tenth. We did ok for spearing but mostly stuck to freediving in the clear waters of whiteswan. Wouldn't mind hearing about where you guys went diving.

Vessey

Attachments

• IMG_7689.JPG
    IMG_7689.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_7691.JPG
    IMG_7691.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 224
I only dove once in Alberta this year. Though I did get a new Dessault 75 cm speargun. It beautiful.

If you are coming out to the coast during "Alberta's Winter" then give me a shout and hopefully we can go for a dive.

It to bad that spearfishing wasn't as good this year as years before but at least I won't kick myself as bad for not making it out this time. I still want a tasty lake trout.

Hey Messey,

Sorry, I didn't contact you out there this summer. I could not get a long weekend free to make it worth coming out, but it was on my mind. I had 3 weekends shot off with weddings.

I had a decent diving summer. Not as good as some. I did some diving in Minnewanka, as I was down south a lot this year. Out to Twin a couple times, plan to go this weekend. Definately the hightlight though was the west coast trip with Erik, Colin and Lars. No big ling this year, but lots of greenling and rockfish.

Thats a good sized pike, man.

lee

Bump an older thread...
I didn't hunt as much as I wanted to this year, but bigger plans for next year for sure, including Northern Sask!

Nice pike photos. Are the spearfishing regs from province to province alot different?? May have to get a license and come up your way. Can't spear any decent game fish in Wisconsin waters mostly rough fish.

Saskatchewan spearos take exactly the same as anglers! Alberta regs suck, Ontario it's illegal entirely. Ocean spearing in BC is decent, but the freshwater regs also suck.

Saskatchewan spearos take exactly the same as anglers! Alberta regs suck, Ontario it's illegal entirely. Ocean spearing in BC is decent, but the freshwater regs also suck.

To bad, Ontario is very close. Sask is a bit of a drive but you never know.... Where abouts is White Swan and Noname Lakes Sask. Couldn't locate em on my cheap atlas.?

Whiteswan is 125km north of Prince Albert, you can find it on Google Earth.

We went up to Whiteswan for the Nov. long, due to some car troubles and a blizzard we did not get in the water.

We went up to Whiteswan for the Nov. long, due to some car troubles and a blizzard we did not get in the water.

Yes, I see it now:duh. Keep driving North till the road literally ends. You guys really get away from it all up there. Don't mind me whilie I envy in you're paradise. If you ever need to upload pics feel free:D. Thanks

Messey I thought you were tough after spending so much time in Northern Sask. Is collage making you softer? Hopefully this summer we can get out for a dive.

I hate to rub it in but where I am living right know the water never freezes over. :)

There is a difference between tough and dumb, it rained then snowed and the roads were horrible. Diving then driving 10km back to warmth was kinda sketchy. Car troubles were also more along the lines of hitting the ditch and cracking the rad, breaking down up there is not very convenient. I was very dissapointed we didn't get in the water but it was a last minute judgement call.

It would be awesome to get out diving with you guys, I will be planning a few trips to northern Sask. next year and anyone is welcome to join me.

Here are a few pictures from last spring

messeyproductions
messeyproductions

There is a difference between tough and dumb, it rained then snowed and the roads were horrible. Diving then driving 10km back to warmth was kinda sketchy. Car troubles were also more along the lines of hitting the ditch and cracking the rad, breaking down up there is not very convenient. I was very dissapointed we didn't get in the water but it was a last minute judgement call.

I just giving a little rubbing even though I knew what you did was the smart thing. We have all be in bad weather on roads that just become slick in that weather. It hard to call someone a wimp that wants to dive in North Sask. in November or that does ice spearfishing.

Though Messey I will be back in Alberta for the summer so hopefully this year I can finally get out to North Sask. Miles is going to be living in North Battleford so hopefully he will be able to make a few dives. Do you know any decent spearfishing lakes in North Battleford area?

What lake is that dam picture from?

The dam is where the torch river comes out of candle lake, use to be really good there. They redesigned the way the fish can get back into the lake, this year I didn't see a single fish there. The fish we use to get there tasted horrible anyways we wouldn't shoot anything over 3 lbs.

Theres not any lakes in the North Battleford area that I know of but Meadow Lake is only like 2 hours away.

The dam is where the torch river comes out of candle lake, use to be really good there. They redesigned the way the fish can get back into the lake, this year I didn't see a single fish there. The fish we use to get there tasted horrible anyways we wouldn't shoot anything over 3 lbs.

Very nice pictures. I have been going up to Candle Lake for the last 25 years (ever since I was 5) and have never actually been down that way on the lake...

Haven't done any spearfishing in Candle. I just started spearfishing this last summer. Definitely gonna try it next May/June...Just bought my 7mm wetsuit and am ready to go. Now I just need the -30 C temps to go away along with the ice.

Have done lots of traditional fishing in it over the years, mainly by boat with the old wisemen (father/father-in-law/grandfather)...

Candle is a great place also to use as a base camp into other areas. Lots of awesome lakes within an hour drive from there.

That area is incredible, I have been to a good majority of those lakes. Never had much luck on candle with spearing but it is a nice lake to just dive in.

That suit of yours will keep you warm this time of year. We have 7mm suits and go diving under this ice. We plan on going to Heritage in febuary, want to try diving the drop off.

Did you get your stuff from the Dive Centre in Saskatoon?

That area is incredible, I have been to a good majority of those lakes. Never had much luck on candle with spearing but it is a nice lake to just dive in.

That suit of yours will keep you warm this time of year. We have 7mm suits and go diving under this ice. We plan on going to Heritage in febuary, want to try diving the drop off.

Did you get your stuff from the Dive Centre in Saskatoon?

Unfortunately the wife put the kiabosh on any under the ice dives. She figures that me carrying a firearm around for the last 4 months (hunting season) is as "dangerous" as my life needs to be (her words, not mine!). I can't necessarily disagree with her since I do all of my spearfishing via apnea. I would need balls of steel to do that...

I definitely plan on diving Heritage next summer too. I've heard that there is supposed to be a submerged pontoon plane somewhere in it. Nice little lake that is well protected from the wind elements. My father-in-law actually bought a smaller boat just for "getting around" on Heritage and other smaller lakes in the area.

Where on the lake is this drop-off? I just checked the online published depth map for Heritage and couldn't really find a "drop-off"...

Yeah, I bought my suit from the Diving Centre in Saskatoon. Their prices are quite high compared to other places, but they were able to price match the best deal I could find on the web, which was great. Definitely gotta shop around on the web though first, otherwise you can easily pay way too much for a lot of their stuff (spearguns, wetsuits, etc.)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT