• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Howdy from Sandpoint Idaho

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

7BDiver

Sep 5, 2019
Hi, I live on a pretty big and very deep lake! New to OW scuba diving and technical freediving. Doesn't appear to be many in my area for freediving but do have some family with moderate interest. Not that diving alone is condoned and it is advised to dive close with someone of similar or better skill, what are some conservative precautions to take to ensure safety is maintained with minimal supervision? Please reference other threads too! Curious topic, has anyone explored automatic retrieval systems based on time or depth of a dive? What is good gear to have at hand when returning to the surface to aid in resting/recovering? I'm not a real depth seeker but more time under the water is more fun!

Howdy! Welcome :) Yes, American spearo Terry Maas invented a vest just as you describe, which is now a commercial product. I believe forum staff member Bill McIntyre uses one. I think Bill also designed and built his own system for personal use, somewhat simpler, some years earlier.

A pool noodle makes a good surface float for recovery - you can lay on your back or face forward depending on how you position it. You can even sit on it.

Thanks for the reference, I am very curious to see what they came up with! Yes, I may need a very bright floaty with a 6' tall dive flag, these lake boaters are more likely to watch for bicycles out there than divers. My dive instructor said someone once jumped his dive buoy with a jet ski during an OW class.

Reactions: Mr. X
I think USA military/navy (SEALS/special forces?) Use the Terry Maas device. Take a look at the website, if you can find it. Last time I checked, I think they were about $1000. Great idea, hope they come out with something more affordable for spearos. Perhaps one day we will all use one.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT