• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Huge difference between wet static and dry one

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shark109

Mar 6, 2009
Hi everybodyI post this item because i have some problems with static performance.In fact i'm able to do over 07:00 (PB 07:17) at dry static but at wet static my PB is only 06:15.I can't explain why i try to do the same routine (breathing , hold training...) but 2 main problems :-1/ My contractions start earlier (about 30sec earlier) during wet static (which is a big problem)-2/ The feeling is different i can't support contractionAnd even if i push my hold breath until samba i can't pass 06:15I can't explain why.Have you any suggestions or training exercises?

Sorry the DB helpdesk is based on pure unpaid voluntarism, any comments here posted are donations of kind, caring, emphasizing people, who are happy to share and learn themselves.

I'll give it a shot.

First I think the difference is not huge, actually it's normal for beginners.
1) How long have been practicing freediving?

From the information you give, I think it's basically a question of more CO2 training and time to get comfortable.
From your words I got the impression that during your static you may be a bit too much focused on time and or the anticipated contractions etc. Maybe you're now getting your mind programmed, your body conditioned to react to a time instead of an impulse.

To counter this you can leave the watch to your buddy, and have him not tell you about times until you've done you last dive. Instead of making a timed schedule you can go by 'effort level'. Your Table B might look like: 50% - 60% - 70% - 80% - 90% with 2' intervals. Doing your dive without packing also greatly increases comfort.
You position in the water is also to be considered.
Food preparation, time of day, previously done exercise, hydration and more things I cannot think of right now.

Feel free to bring more data to the table, because the info here above feels like only a part of the equation.

BTW You can view also the difference as a positive, knowing you have enjoyment of more future pb's on your way to that big 7'!

Patience is what we need my friend :D

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Reactions: Salehthefish
A shot in the dark:
To me it sounds like a mental block in the first place and not a physical one.
I guess you mainly train dry. And once you're in the water you (more or less subconsciously) urge yourself to repeat your good dry results in the water.
If I'm right, this of course would be rather counter productive. Thus I would suggest to get rid of those thoughts.

There are two big differences between dry and wet statics. Body temperature and position. Since dry is better for you we can eliminate body heating. One of the learned experts on the subject recently discussed the various possible reasons that you cannot hold your breath until black out. The diaphragm seems to be involved. You may need to experiment with your position(s) during the holds in the pool.

Thanks for your answers.@Kars: I'm practising apnea since 2009 but i really train hard since 2010.Which is strange in my case is that at dry static i can postpone my contractions until near 05:00 without hyperventilation (i call contraction the first big movement of the diaphragm not little movements which appear at about 03:45) but at wet static i have this little movement of diaphragm at 03:45 and then at 04:00-04:15 big contractions even if i hyperventilate i don't understand why.It seems i produce more Co2 in water than outside water

Reactions: sjurba
There are two big differences between dry and wet statics. Body temperature and position.

I doubt that body temperature is a big issue, unless you don't wear a suit. Even then as long as you don't freeze it shouldn't be a problem. Goran by the way did his best static in comp without a suit.
Some (Murat?) even claim that if you are on the "chill side of comfortable" you might support the mdr. Due to the mdr wet statics should actually be easer ...

Position might be a difference. But I prefer the floating position much more.

Do u train more often dry than wet statics? It could be just that you are more relaxed and familiar with the dry static environment. If you start to train more wet than dry statics the holding times of the two should gradually merge.

As a matter of fact i do 3 or 4 static session and only one at pool.Maybe some of you have the same problem?

Reactions: Kars
haha for me im more relaxed in the water than dry land.... imho u hav to get used in the water only then u can feel more relaxed n comfortable... :hmm

Reactions: Kars
I think that Aris told you the main points. I have similar bp-s for dry and wet and initially when I did more dry sta this difference was even bigger. The solution is practicing more in the pool.

Also I suspect that in try sta there could be a minor gas excange that is not possible in water.

Well my wet static always longer than dry static. Since my body floating on the water and feel more relax. Yep that's the key, keep relax.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT