• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Humos- one of the greatest arabian dishes!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Freediver81

The Arabian Stallion
Feb 5, 2004
I know this isn't fish but its good to have a side dish beside all of the tasty fish!!!

This is the recipe:-

Ingredients:

2 cups of Chickpeas which were soaking overnight in a bowl of water

1 table spoon of drinking soda powder

juice from 3 medium lemons

1/2 a cup of raw tehina (sesame paste)

3 cloves of garlic

extra virgin olive oil

1/2 a table spoon of cumin

praparation:

1. you cook the chickpeas in water with the drinking soda powder untill the chickpeas get soft (you can check by squashing one with your fingers)

2. cool the chickpeas and the water to room temperature and you put the chickpeas in a food processor. you add a little of the cooking water until you get a smooth but liquid texture.

3. gradually add raw tehina to the mixture (the tehina makes the mixture get hard so watch how much you put)

4. you then add the rest of the ingredients (lemon juice, squashed cloves of garlic and cumin and fix by taste)

5. you pour some olive oil over the finished mixture and start eating with preferably pita from my fathers bakery, but if you cant get hold of them any bread will do! :D

:p :p :p

Said

MMMMMMM....

thanks F-D81... as soon as i get normal life again with a kitchen (hopefully next year) i will put that to a test...

Reactions: Freediver81
its good to see familiar recipes, this is our local food and every people in here knows how to do it rofl I will try to add some extra tips next time to make the receipe more delicious and special

Ah humos! Wonderful stuff. The advantage of living in SoCal is that everyone comes here and brings their recipes, opens restaurants and adds hybrid vigor (and pretty girls!) to the local population. Here you can get humos in Morrocan, Syrian, Palestinian, Arabian and Lebanese flavors. Mmmmmm!

The disadvantage to living in SoCal is that everyone comes here . . .

Oh well,

Great recipe, would you post a recipe for Baba Ganoush.
Thanks

Last edited:
I think they find it hard to sleep with all the light.
Definately night soaked peas behave better :)

island_sands said:
MMMMMMM....

thanks F-D81... as soon as i get normal life again with a kitchen (hopefully next year) i will put that to a test...

Well Sara, did you try to prepare it?

Said

Never mind the calories! Its the affect on the Beaufort scale I worry about :(

More tea vicar?

Ocean Girl said:
Isnt' hummos fattening?

Not really,

Only if you put too much sesame paste in the mixture (has a considerable amount of fat)!
Researches have proved that Humos is very healthy!

Said

Humos????????????????????? who on this wonderful planet decided to rename HUMMUS and turn it into Humos????????????? LOL :ko just fighting for our version to be over all others. :) :) :) :ko

Groupermadness said:
Humos????????????????????? who on this wonderful planet decided to rename HUMMUS and turn it into Humos????????????? LOL :ko just fighting for our version to be over all others. :) :) :) :ko
Isnt humos the spannish word for exhaust gasses?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT