• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hunting advice for newbies, from a not so veteran newbie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tbgsub

gone fishing / freediving
Dec 19, 2005
when spearfishing in current, dont take low angle shots over coral up current, at all without immediately retrieving it. Unless you know you are going to hit a large fish solid.
I recenlty lost a gun in 5 knot current, as I got swept into a channel on the bottom, and took a shot at a parrot fish and missed. Had to swim my ass off just to get back up current to the bolt that got caught up on the corals, as the float line and the float drifted down stream. In the exhaustion, the gun got loose it was a breakaway setup, and may have been a different scenario if set up as a reef gun.
I struggled to regain the gun, by dropping the bolt, that had to be re-retrieved later after no luck locating the gun, which was even harder to dive down to 58ft in current. The current earlier that day was around 2-3 knots, but picked up near the mouth of a channel that I didnt notice I was getting too close for good measure to.

so my advice, is dont shoot foolishley in current if your bolt and gear may get hung up on the bottom, EVER!!!

I lost an Omer Cobra 100CM Circolare that day and I still lament the situation with sore feelings, so please dont aske me about it, I have shared it here for your own good.

My motto after that day is that "It is better to return home without a gun, than for the gun to return home without its owner." the same holds true for the rest of your gear and equipment without reserve. your life is worth more, so get ofer your loss and go fishing ASAP!!! you can always get another gun, but not another life.

safe fishing.

TBGSUB.

Hey TBG, sorru for your gun and happy you're alive. That's an interesting story and wise tips.
But - and in any case nothing wrong with it - didn't you post the same story a couple months ago in the first place? :confused:

hmmm....

I guess I am suffering from a groundhog day sort of recurring nightmare!
I still wake in fits and convulsions from that loss!!

ARGGGGGG!!! COBRA I MISS YOU!!!!!!! AARGGG!!!!! :chatup (wakes up to pulling hair and startled/pissed off wife!!!)

OK..
..OK I am better now.

at least it is good to know someone is keeping tabs, and reading my blather, just thought I would put that story into a more positive spin, since it was a beginner hunting section, and it is a common story among most fishermen I meet, how they have lost guns in the same manner. I figured I might spare a newbie my nightmares!!!!

I will keep the repeditive story telling to a minimum though, thanks.

TBGSUB.

Reactions: spaghetti
hey man....grab your ear lobes and say 'wooosaaaah' helps to relax ya! hehehehe
shame loosing your gun hey! but thanks for the tips...will definately keep them in mind while spearing..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT