• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hunting in poor wiz...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sjurba

Feb 9, 2010
I just came back from a trip to my closest saltwater divespot an the wiz was bad,2meters max,Im just curious to how to hunt effectively under such conditions,I supose aspetto is the way to go.I swam across some fish while sneaking along in the murk,but unfortunately they split before I could see wether it was a wrasse or cod or something else.

Waiting for fish to come to you as in aspetto is the obvious answer but even then it is not going to be easy.
One trick (apparently) is to use the sun, try lying on the bottom looking directly up to spot silhouettes of fish against the light source!
Making throat noise might help the fish find you too.

Here in southern california when viz is poor I do more bottom hunting or hole hunting. I also use a shorter gun and frequently a dive light, and I try to hunt spots where I already know the terrain. Poor viz is less fun but I pull my biggest halibut out of deep murky water. It is good training, too; if you get used to diving in murk and or at night, deep dives in clear water get easier since you are accustomed to diving into the unknown.

Foxfish's suggestion to get under fish and silhouette them is also good; that is how we frequently hunt white sea bass since they tend to be found closer to the surface, and many fish have a hard time spotting threats from below.

This is a very good tip for low viz from Foxfish.

You choose a promising spot, lay down on the bottom and look up to the surface brightened by the sky above, so that a counterlight effect will help you recognize the dark shape of fishes passing in between.

Otherwise, stay hidden and "call" the fish, making little noises and/or vibration: not too loud not to scare them away, not too quiet so to capture their attention and drive them towards you for curiosity.

But the subsequent question is: what is a promising spot? where to go?

In facts you must know where there's more probability that some fish will be passing by. And this is THE question about spearfishing.

More specifically related to very, very, very low viz.

In low viz the fish as well need some familiar point of reference, and they tend to move along a pattern given by recognizable things or objects: they will be likely to pass by rocks bigger than the average, kelp bushes, pieces of pipeline, boat docks, wrecks or any sort of familiar submerged structure.

These are the best places to perform the counterlight hunting suggested by Foxfish.
But this does not say it all, of course.

Also remember current and tide. Fish are always in search of food.
Predator fish like bass tend to hunt against the current, to intercept the stream that brings food onto them. If you perform aspetto with the current from your back, that will normally help.

From what I have experienced, a fish must always have a good reason to choose a place to stay or to go to instead of another: that's related to period of the year, food chain events, weather/current events, reproduction events, type of bottom chosen by each species as a favourite habitat, and also the perception of "safety", and the prediction of food availability, that a fish may have in a place or another.

Just ask yourself some questions:
First. Where would you go if you where a fish?
Second. Is there any species which is spawning, making eggs or breeding newborns in this period of the year? What's the depth and type of bottom chosen by that species for reproduction? That's where you have to go! It's a bit unfair and slightly cruel to shoot a fish in love or breeding (provided it's not illegal: don't do anything illegal, never!), but many other antagonist species will go there looking for eggs and newborn to eat: reproduction of "enemy" species stirs up the food chain as well as current, weather and tide.
Long post! Hope it's not too boring (it was intended for newbies)

Last edited:
Thank you for many interesting tips and points,I think the weight issue is absolutely something I have to work on,I just moved from 7mm to 5mm ,mostly due to allmost ripping an arm off my smoothskin:waterwork ,and becouse the water is finally warming up. I was a bit too boyant,spent a lot of energy staying down.(negative at about 8-9m).In the ara Im fishing,theres mostly cod, pollack, saith and the occational bass,not that Ive seen one yet...Ive tried making noises in clearer waters to see how the fish react,and so far it seems they get scared,maybee I make the wrong noises,or too loud perhaps.I will look into the looking up at the surface tecnique,havent tried that yet.

Fishing in 3ft viz. Use a shorter gun with a trident head and what I call breakaway gear. That is a line to the surface from the gun with a small buoy attached so it is not affected by the surface chop. Find a place to tuck in to the wreck or rocks and wait! The small fish around you will re-act first with the Bass coming in a short time after. Look slightly to the right or left of the spear tip and at a thirty degree angle from the bottom this will give you a split second to get the shot in on a fast moving target. Let the gun go as soon as the shot goes in and play the fish on the line from the surface! I have taken fish up to 8lbs with just one prong through the dorsal fin using this method but take your time playing it on the line as in such bad viz you do not know where you have shot them until they are in front of your mask. Due to the big winds most of this summer in the Sussex area this has been the only way to fish the last few weeks. Obviously pick a spot where you know the fish should be wrecks piers or rocks.

Do you measure 3ft from mask or speartip?Sounds preatty hardcore to be fishing under those conditions.Ive been contemplating making a really short gun,possibly a 60-70 midhandle semi-roller,but well see,first I have to finish my 105 projekt for the clear days :)

In bad vis I've found that tapping on your speargun with your knife or whipping your speargun rubbers also bring in fish. First small ones and then a bit later the bigger ones come. SO its just patience and a shorter gun. I've tried a couple of times spearing in 2-3m vis with a 1m gun. SO frustrating!! As soon as I try to point my gun the fish dart off, and sometimes the fish are behind my spear point! Like it has been mentioned here laying as still as possible is vital! Happy hunting!

I don't a dive if vis is less than 5m, so I don't get wet when its like this.

I dive for enjoyment now days, & don't compete anymore, so I do something else when conditions are poor. I'm fortunate to have access to a great range of game animals & locations, so if I need to de stress, I can go for an armed bush walk instead of enduring bad vis.

I always found the use of burley/ground baiting over productive spots to be productive in low vis.

Cheers Sharkey

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT