• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hunting King Fish(ignobilis)... How do you approach and shoot them?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MozSpearer

Nov 19, 2013
Hi all. I'm prepping to go to Inhaca island next week. On the top of my ''most-wanted'' list is a giant kingfish. WHen I was there in January, I spotted one individual about 3 times on the same dive. The current was strong so couldn't get close enough for the shot.

I was wondering, maybe the guys who have shot one before would like to share their techniques? How to approach them without spooking them. I've read that you should just wait on the surface for them to approach you. I'll try that, but I'll have to time my dives better, since last time I always went too late, then I had to swim against the current continually.

THanks in advance guys. SHoot off any ideas.

Cheers. Mozzie

I've never shot king fish, but have you tried using flashers and / or throw flashers to lure them closer?

HAve tried a flasher, but being homemade it didn't deploy. The current wasn't helping either(about 5-6kmph) so line kept snagging... THey are there, just getting them close enough is the problem. Thanks for your post apneaddict. I'm gonna try and put an extra 2m on the spearline(so that it still nicely fits the line mech) which will hopefully give me that little extra edge.

A throw flasher (even some old spoons) could lure them in just close enough for you to get that shot off...

I think the you are referring too is also known a a giant trevally. They are not a hard fish to spear as they are very curious. They respond well to burley & will throw caution to the wind once in the burley trail. They are not a fish that I have ever particularly targeted but have shot several smaller ones in the 35kg range. I usually see the really large ones (60 kg plus) under ledges or in large caves, but have never felt the urge to kill the larger ones as even the smaller fish aren't that great to eat. They are very strong fighters & don't fight clean. They will head for the bottom & try to dislodge the spear on anything they can find if you don't roll them with your first shot. Just dive down to their level, wait for them to approach, place your spear well & hang on. Don't get caught up in your own rig line & hopefully you have spare spears & mono to replace the ones they will damage.

Stay safe.
Sharkey

Apneaddict: from your post i got the idea to make a flasher of about a metre or two long, that i can clip onto my belt. Then when mr. Gt comes along, i drop it and it should hang below me which will hopefully lure them, and any gamefish for that matter, closer. Thanks.

Sharkey: thats correct, they are also known as giant trevally. Thanks for the advice. I doubt I'll go for the 65 kg monsters you mentioned but the fish in 5-35kg range are my prime targets, as well as pick handle barracuda. You've just confirmed everything else I've read about them, hard dirty fighters that will push your gear to the limit. I'll do my best to not get tangled. At least the divespot im going to is no deeper than 10m.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. Loving deeperblue! Cheers. Mozzie

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT