• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Huntmaster Spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
A new line of spearfishing equipment has appeared which popped up on a recent search of spearing gear. Their "Huntmaster" speargun looks surprisingly like the MVD spearguns, however there is also a "Huntress" version in pink! The trigger fingerguard contains a blocking safety that rotates up to stop the trigger being pulled.

I have never heard of them before, but they seem to be building a line of spearfishing equipment including float lines and floats as well as masks, snorkels and wetsuits in a range of camouflage colors.

Their spearguns are currently selling at 20 per cent off, plain vanilla guns for the moment, although if they are following the MVD line then rollerguns are probably something to appear in future.
https://www.huntmaster.com/collections/spearguns
compare with https://www.mvd-retail.gr/product-pa...ator-zeso-open (which has a reel included).
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the "Huntress" model, although it does not state that on the barrel sticker. Guns come in 75, 90, 100 and 110 cm lengths.
attachment.php

Reactions: Mr. X
Hot pink - love it! :D

Their website does already mention inverted rollers so you may well be right re. Mvd: https://www.huntmaster.com/collections/spearguns

How do the prices compare to mvd - l assume those prices are Oz $?

Where are mvd made, Greece?
The prices are in AUD and seem to be lower than the equivalent item from MVD (Greece), however just where they are manufactured I do not know. Right now shipping is free, at least in OZ, while shipping from Europe can be very expensive. On another thread I listed the URL's for equivalent items from MVD, but their guns come with reels included in the price. I purchased a pink "Huntress" gun for my niece, she already has pink fins and mask, snorkel, etc.

The mvd reels look really nice but to me, spearfishing reel's seem crude compared to angling reel's. Like cheap, plastic fly reel's from China or cheap old English pressed steel centre pin reel's.

The mvd reels look really nice but to me, spearfishing reel's seem crude compared to angling reel's. Like cheap, plastic fly reel's from China or cheap old English pressed steel centre pin reel's.
They are just line retrievers after all, it is not like you play a fish with them as a diver is floating, not standing on shore or on a boat deck where he (or she) can brace against something.

The Huntsman 75 cm gun was delivered today. It looks relatively small boned compared with my own guns, but that is what most euroguns are like these days ever since the toy-like Omer "Cayman" appeared. As for the rear handle it looks like the MVD, but there are slots flanking the mechanism cassette on top which I don’t think are there on the MVD gun. This is what the website says about their handle.

"SPEARGUN HANDLE

A closer inspection will reveal a custom handle designed by the HUNTMASTER team to suit a number of configurations, rollers, pulleys and conventional spearguns.

The integrated hook and mounting points make loading, unloading and taking pretension off your rubbers a breeze. The integrated hook can also be used for future inverted roller conversions, this saves unnecessary and nasty drilling into barrels and handles causing issues in the long run.

You may also note that this handle isn’t just another Picasso knock off, or Merou knock off, these handles offer everything from a positive safety that can not be tuned on accidently, to an integrated Gopro bracket, from an ambidextrous line retainer and soft rubber grip to 100% stainless steel trigger mechanism with no plastic parts, we even include a 110mm Shark/Tuna clip, so you really are ready to go."

Note the Gopro bracket is an extra which you have to buy separately, but the stainless steel Shark clip on the handle butt you get for free.

The mini-sharkfin tab spears are 6.3 mm (0.248") diameter, single flopper eurogun shafts of standard coated steel and have "AUSTRALIA" stamped into the flat of the spear tail.

Last edited:
Some photos of the pink Huntmaster "Wigun" 75 cm straight out of the shipping box. Price AUD 240, free shipping! One line wrap of mono tightened up by a short muzzle bungee, open muzzle.
Huntmaster Wigun pink R.jpg

Huntmaster Wigun R.jpg

Huntmaster Wigun grip R,.jpg

Huntmaster Wigun grip top R.jpg

Last edited:
Huntmaster now release their inverted rollergun.
TASMAN ALUMINIUM INVERT ROLLER SPEARGUN - (75CM - 120CM) - BLACK OR WHITE HANDLE

https://www.huntmaster.com/products/...34049873018924
huntmaster invert roller.jpg

Front roller may be a plain bearing given the side slots in the roller flange.

Compare with the MVD ZESO version in carbon.
zeso invert roller.jpg

Last edited:
MVD only makes spearguns, other than companies like Omer, Pathos and Apnéa. So I'm not surprised that they go the OEM-route to get more worldwide reach.

So far I like the one I have (82cm invert roller, to keep things more or less portable while still allowing some range). There are some remarks of course, but it's mostly in the consumables, not the gun itself. Time will tell how well the gun will last. Remember how I treat my gear? If it lasts two years for me, it would last 20 years for someone else. :D

I know the title says Huntmaster, but since Huntmaster sells MVD guns... MVD had a -30% sale last year's Black Friday, perhaps this year too.

Looks like Adreno in Australia have also sourced their line of "Poseidon" spearguns from MVD.

Just by chance when looking at the new Ermes-Sub “Avatar” handle I found that Ermes-Sub have made a version of their Double Roller trigger mechanism for the Huntmaster. I thought the handles bore a passing resemblance, including the original handle from MVD, so now you know why.
Huntmater double roller.jpg

handle comparison avatar huntmaster R.jpg

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT