• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Huuricane Isabel's Victims

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

icarus pacific

Human-in-training
Nov 7, 2001
Hurricane Isabel's Victims

Hey let's all individually and together see we can do for those effected by last weeks weather on the Eastern coast of the U.S.

There are more than a few DB members and their families that are going to have some tough times now and in the future so lob 'em a little positive karma and a phone call to see how they are.

We're waiting to hear from you about your family Jay and my tanks and nailbags are full.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reminder, Sven.

The American Red Cross is accessible via:
www.redcross.org
The site offers a variety of ways we can all help.

Our prayers and thoughts are with the folks dealing with the aftermath of Isabel.

Last edited:
Storm Report from Richmond, VA

Thanks for any thoughts and prayers that have come our way. This was one hell of a storm. Richmond was hammered with some areas looking like they had been bombed. Before the storm we received over 20 inches of extra rain this year, so the ground was already soft. Add in the 6 inches we received during the storm and some of the biggest trees imagniable came crashing down. Lots of folks lost houses, cars, out buildings and such. Most of the Richmond metropolitan area is still without power, some without water (and everyone is supposed to boil before drinking) and more rain is predicted tonight. The amazing thing is that there have only been a small number of deaths attributed to the storm.

Please keep the folks in the Outer Banks of NC in your thoughts and prayers. I most frequently dive from Hatteras NC, and have been unable to determine whether the folks there are safe. The water and the wrecks will be there, its the people we depend on and grow to love that cannot be replaced. From the pictures I have seen the devastation is horrendous, their courage and fortitude is amazing.

Joe.

Reactions: Cingene
News about the aftermath..

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the information.
Many of us have friends in NC and have been most worried.
Karma to you for the update.
Please continue to keep us informed.

OceanSwimmer

Update on NC Outer Banks:

From the folks I have talked to, it seems like Hatteras Island and north received the most damage, with Ocracoke, Cape Lookout, down to Cape Fear faring somewhat better. I haven't gotten a report from Nags Head yet, but Outer Banks Diving in Hatteras will be back in operation shortly; the shop and boat all came through the storm OK. Olympus diving in Morehead City lost its dock, but I understand they will quickly come back, and Discovery Diving in Beaufort is fine and running charters. Of course there are lots of other operators in these areas that I am either not familiar with or have not heard from, but these give a good gauge of the state of the industry in this area.

Its amazing to me that Hatteras Island didin't have any fatalities considering some amazing stories of rescue and endurance. One older couple weathered the brunt of the storm holding onto a large tree that had fallen across their doorway when their house disintegrated around them. Another woman had crawled to the attic of her family's small hotel to escape the rising flood waters and was rescued near the height of the storm by her father who had essentially paddled from his house to the motel on a surfboard. Huge damages, some injuries, no fatalities. Makes you believe in miracles.

I just moved down to Charleston, SC and my drive from Maryland took me through Virgina Beach/Northern NC. It was really unreal. I was driving for hours and every third telephone line seemed to be down. Trees were haphazardly cut along roads to allow cars to get by. The most erie part was at twilight and driving by all the unlit houses in cities. The streetlights were out and it felt like driving through ghost towns. I stopped to tal to some people and they said they wouldn't be getting power back fro 2-4 weeks.

The good thing was hearing about all the people that are coming from other states to help get them back on line. The power companies are working around the clock and hopefuly it will be sooner than later.

As for Maryland we got higher surge than anyone has remembered seeing. The ground was/is supersaturated from all the rain we've gotten this year so the water came up very quickly. In our yard the water came up ~150 yards and came within 40 feet of the house on two sides. We got very lucky and only lost some trees. T

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT