• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hybrid Guns vs. full wooden guns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nalu

Dec 31, 2004
Im an average diver and ready to upgrade from my JBL Magnum. Only because it's all worn down and corroded.

Any suggestions? I was looking at some Daryl Wong's and Riffe's. Wong is a little more expensive but it has a lifetime warranty on it.

I dont do any bluewater hunting so Im not looking for those big guns. Mainly reefs at about 15 - 20ft.

Aloha and Mahalo,
Nalu

Happy new year brah! Welcome to the forum. Just keep looking through the threads and you gonna find lots of reviews and opinions on different guns.

kdencuz..

Gil

Welcome indeed. For your location and intended usage, a hybrid is certainly a tool that will do the job for you, and a Wong will do everything you want it to and still leave you room to go deeper/bigger.

Thanks for the info.
After I posted this, I found a lot more info.
Like I said, this site is awesome!

Mahalo! :)

I finally decided on the wong 50" hybrid titanium barrel. Good lifetime warranty and since I live on the island I can get it fix without mailing it. Can't go wrong with a warranty like that! :)

my dive buddy has a 60" wong hybrid and never had a problem for the past 2yrs. that's one of the reason why i bought one too. i've only dove with it twice. it's fitted with 3 bands but i only use 2, 5/8" x 26" bands. trigger is smooth whether i use one or two bands. there's a slight recoil with 2 bands, very minor. i adjusted my line of sight and everything is fine. overall, YES! IM HAPPY! :)

Wooden gun: get a Merlo or Kitto.

Wooden guns: way too bulky for freediving for a long time with, unless you're on your spot with 80kg tunas flying by.

Eurogun hands down.
Wooden cannon for 80kg fish and over.

Hybrid: not worth the money.

-Eugene T

Boy o boy....thanks for the input.

Can you give us reasons for your findings? How is the euro gun so superior? Have you ever shot a hybrid?

Guns definately a personal thing. I dislike euro guns. They track slowly(no matter what you euro users tell me, simple physics proves to me that a mid handle gun will swing easier every day of the week) and feel awkward unless I am swimming forward. I, unlike Eugene, LOVE hybrids. I think they are by far the best gun design for 75% of all hunting situations....but thats just me.

I do have both types plus the big log for the bottomless blue so I am not just blowing smoke...for me, its hybrid all the way.

rigdvr said:
Boy o boy....thanks for the input.

Can you give us reasons for your findings? How is the euro gun so superior? Have you ever shot a hybrid?

Guns definately a personal thing. I dislike euro guns. They track slowly(no matter what you euro users tell me, simple physics proves to me that a mid handle gun will swing easier every day of the week) and feel awkward unless I am swimming forward. I, unlike Eugene, LOVE hybrids. I think they are by far the best gun design for 75% of all hunting situations....but thats just me.

I do have both types plus the big log for the bottomless blue so I am not just blowing smoke...for me, its hybrid all the way.

Rigdvr, before you put any more input, you should read my posts in their entirety. I own 18 guns. I OWN A HYBRID. I OWN RIFFES. Here, let me spell it out for you E-I-G-H-T-E-E-N. Here is how you spell Definitely: d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.
Go read my other post. You obviously don't know how to use a european style gun, since you think you swing the damned thing all the way from the back. If you learned, then you would know. Why is it that 99% of competition divers use euroguns? More maneuverable, more accurate, and lighter. Hybrid is way too bulky for freediving. Oh yeah, it's not as accurate as my other gun. And Riffe is even worse.
And yes, I have a pool, a house in florida, a house in California, and I have done tests with all of my guns.

I dont give a shit where your houses are. Because you prefer euro guns and are better skilled with them doesnt make it fact. I'll give an example.

During last years keys kraze Aquiles (an avid rabbitech user) told me there was no way I could hit one of the sardines swimming around...I nuetered it. He called it a fluke so on the next shot I strung one through the eyes. Just to piss him off more I nailed a ballyhoo from 8 ft. My point? Well I have only one house in Mississippi but I am deadly accurate with the hybrid. Guns are more subjective as any piece of gear. I have a euro gun(110 cm aimrite), 2 hybrids, an MG special, and an Ono bluewater gun so how do I spell it out for you P-E-R-S-O-N-A-L P-R-E-F-R-E-N-C-E
99% of competition divers are also shooting fish that I wouldnt even aim at...so whats your point about that...many are also sponsored so what do you think they will shoot?

Spearingfish, stop being such a douche. Or would you like me to spell it out to you it's Dee Oh YOU see eighch. And as for telling someone to get a Merlo or Kitto, their pocket may differ...and a wong will be just as accurate.
Careful before you start calling out someone like rigdiver. He's got more information-packed posts on here than you'll ever find.
Come on here w/ that attitude you gain nothing.

Thanks Strech...I always try to be fair and make sure that people know my gun prefrences are just that, my personal prefrences. I by no means think whats best for me is best period.

Im gonna retire for the night...this guy caught me at a bad time...Im sick and trying to convince myself my sinuses are clear enough to go after more tuna on Friday....

StretchArmStron said:
Spearingfish, stop being such a douche. Or would you like me to spell it out to you it's Dee Oh YOU see eighch. And as for telling someone to get a Merlo or Kitto, their pocket may differ...and a wong will be just as accurate.
Careful before you start calling out someone like rigdiver. He's got more information-packed posts on here than you'll ever find.
Come on here w/ that attitude you gain nothing.

Your personal attacks are childish. So is your spearfishing knowledge. He is the one attacking my post telling me it has no information. His post telling me that had nothing to offer. Mine at least had to offer: maneuverability, and price, two things that are important to most spearos.

Congrats for hitting a sardine.

But, you still can't spell
Guns are more subjective as any piece of gear. I have a euro gun(110 cm aimrite), 2 hybrids, an MG special, and an Ono bluewater gun so how do I spell it out for you P-E-R-S-O-N-A-L P-R-E-F-R-E-N-C-E

personal P-R-E-F-E-R-E-N-C-E

What a joke. I'm done with you.

Last edited:
aww come on buddy. Cant you find it in your heart to be my friend? I could learn so much from you...hell you already admitted everything you say is fact. Im sorry about my speeling error...I'll doublr chek from now on. rofl

Welcome to DB and for making such a positive impact with your 11 posts, Spearingfish.

We here, all couple thousand or so like to light of eachother in a number of ways, speargun choice being almost certainly the greatest. Much like North vs South, East vs West and Sven vs female, the good natured banter goes on and on. Take the high road and join in the fun and take other stuff personally. Speeling, er spelling being one of my favorites also.

I agree that Scott makes a very nice gun and he's very correct in pricing them that way. I've used them and could never get comfy with the grip- too thin for my paws, but the line release is tres sweet. My Kitto is almost my favorite and the white sea bass South of me also give it due respect. Bill could charge more for his guns and I'd still want another.

You'll not hear me admit here often, especially when Abri and the rest of us originals get going, but I have a euro after trying a bunch of them and for what it's supposed to be used for, it's fine. But as you so delicately put it, it takes a different style and manner to use it. That said, it gets used over here once, maybe twice a year. When I need to prop my door open for the breeze.

I make and use my own hybrids for the majority of my fishing and feel they represent the best answer for my use. You don't get to be 6-4 and 215 eating fish solely from the market, so I'm doing something right.

rigdvr said:
to go after more tuna on Friday....

Wanna borrow one of my bigger Alexanders or my latest 58"er and lead 'em by a few feet? :head
Signed, Sven (another hard core fan of hybrids. :hmm )

Hey shoot me that link.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice rigdvr. Your allways helpfull to us newbies. What do you think about alexander guns. I just found out he lived about 10 minutes from me. I'm supposed to go meet him on sunday.

I was looking at the "54 inshore gun.

Ive never met the man but I have seen a couple of his guns. FRom what I have heard second hand they aim a little different but isnt that the case with any gun you arent used to? I can only imagine the information the guy has to share so dont be shy and take full advantage of the situation!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT