• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hybrid guns?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rigdvr

Not Available in Stores
May 28, 2002
Alright guys I need help...whats the deal on these hybrid guns? Time for a new gun and I am leaning towards a Riffe metal tech to replace the jbl collection but before I do I would like to know more about these hybrid guns. I mainly dive the offshore oil rigs so durability is an issue as the guns around here are rarely "babied." My main concern is "You can't grill em till you kill em!"

Hey Rig how close do you get to the Rigs and how deep do you go?

I'm just getting into freediving and will start up spearfishing in the near future.
My freshwater prey is limited where I live so I won't have alot opportunities to build my hunting
skills as fast as someone that lives near the ocean.

Spearfishing near some rigs sounds like fun, would you be willing to drag along a green spearo sometime in the future?

"Rangers Lead The Way"

BladeRunner
:cool:

Last edited:
You're on the right track going with a Riffe Metal Tech. A #3 or 4 is going to fill your freezer faster than you'll know. And I've been there where you're at, in the murk, in the wire and in the legs... with JBL's and Riffe's.

The hybrids are great for open water/slightly fouled areas, like kelp and rocky bottom where the weight/bulk of the gunbarrel/stock keeps a bigger gun from tracking fast enough. Having the bouyancy of the wood combined with a pipe barrel lets the gun swing smoother and you can load up on the bands too. If you want, take a look at the Wong and the Yakooji, at Hana Pa'a. But for just an all out bazooka that you won't have to baby, but you will 'cause they're so damn good, a Riffe's a tough tool to beat.

sven

SVEN

thanks for the input Sven!(On all my posts!) I think I am going with a #4 metal tech, just felt like asking about the hybrids.

blade

as for how close we get to the rigs...well alot of contact is made! They offer great cover and the best hunting technique on them is to ambush. e mail me and i will give you more info if you are interested.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT