• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I Am Stumped, What Is It?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DiverC

Aug 3, 2018
I saw this shellfish while snorkeling in the Puget Sound. It was in about 5-6 feet of water, and I don't have a very good photograph of it: GoPro Hero White is only 1080p
resolution and doesn't make good stills. Video is on YouTube:

Richmond Beach 8 25 2021​

at 5 minutes 25 seconds.
I wish I knew what it was.

View attachment 57614

I saw this shellfish while snorkeling in the Puget Sound. It was in about 5-6 feet of water, and I don't have a very good photograph of it: GoPro Hero White is only 1080p
resolution and doesn't make good stills. Video is on YouTube:

Richmond Beach 8 25 2021​

at 5 minutes 25 seconds.
I wish I knew what it was.

View attachment 57614

Some kind of starfish / sea star? Picture below of a purple variety in the Puget Sound.
starfish-puget-sound-washington-state-DH3JP0.jpg

You have to jump ahead to 5 minutes 25 seconds in the video to see what I'm posting about. Or click on the attachment. The screenshot is a Puget Sound sea star or starfish, but that's not the intriguing creature that I can't identify.

You have to jump ahead to 5 minutes 25 seconds in the video to see what I'm posting about. Or click on the attachment. The screenshot is a Puget Sound sea star or starfish, but that's not the intriguing creature that I can't identify.
OK, sorry.
1635484913017.png
Well, I'm stumped now too, if it's the object resembling a crumpled ball of white paper above. The Pacific Northwest is so full of bizarre crustaceans, both on land and in the sea. I can still recall spotting my first giant slug lounging on a tree stump while hiking through a forest in Washington State a couple of decades ago.

Last edited:
OK, sorry.
Well, I'm stumped now too, if it's the object resembling a crumpled ball of white paper above. The Pacific Northwest is so full of bizarre crustaceans, both on land and in the sea. I can still recall spotting my first giant slug lounging on a tree stump while hiking through a forest in Washington State a couple of decades ago.
I hope someone can identify it. I looked up "Puget Sound White Shells" and the chart didn't help. It's got a projection of some kind sticking out of it like a horse conch, but it's not a horse conch they are Atlantic Coast marine life.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT