• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I hope this is a joke...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
but it isn't funny....

shooter226 said:
Kevin Bruington, owner of Spearfishing Specialties http://www.slinginsteel.com/ told me if one was being a nuisance and not aggressive to shoot it in the dorsal fin. The shaft would bounce off and the shark would take off for parts unknown. I have not done this but he has very reliable information in the past.

taken from... [ame="http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116350"]New To Hunting - ScubaBoard[/ame]

Reactions: Erik
I hope its a joke too...everyone know you need to hit them in the gills to do any real damage without a PH.

Hiya

Wonder what happens if you miss...............mmmmm.........stuck with an unloaded gun and a peeved off shark circling you.............rather YOU than me!!!!! rofl

Wonder what happens if the spear pentrates..........mmmm..........no more spear or gun and a REALLY peeved off shark circling you............ rofl

Wonder if anybody tried that approach on a MAKO!!! rofl rofl

Scary advice indeed!!

Regards
miles

Miles,

I saw a lot of sharks but I only saw a Mako once underwater and believe me he will approach to you not you to him.
That shark is different to any other, the swin really fast around you and does not show any sign of fear or precaution he just come close to you directly, them goes to return again.

Just get on your boat and change to another place. When we fish for swordfish or YFT is very common to see them chasing the hooked sword and sometimes the yellowfin tunas, but it is completely different in the water.

Cheers

Ivan

i am still laughing... rofl rofl

Advice from a name dropper rofl

It is not funny and not true. Kevin is a well respected individual in our area and when I told him of this last night he just said "You got to be kidding me. Someone said that I said that". Just goes to show you not everything you read is true. I mean if you shot a shark in the dorsal fin why would it bounce of the fin but not the body???? This guy is a newbie.

Reactions: Oldsarge
Kevin free shafts anyway, so if he did shoot a shark, it would be free shafted, he doesn't shoot something just to shoot it.

I am sure if he felt it necessary, he would feed em' the steel, but into the gills, not the dorsal.

Hiya

Thanx for setting the record straight!!!

I shudder to think what would happen if a newbie spearo sees his first shark and remembers that he read on a forum somewhere, that he's got to shoot it in the fin............

Should you be in trouble, as bgbill said, last resort is the gill slits!!

Safe diving!!

miles

Bright idea!

I read somewhere that sharks (at least large ones) need to move forward continuously so they can breathe, and that if a shark is towed backwards it will die in two minutes. This gave me an idea.

If I am ever unfortunate enough to be confronted by a hungry shark, I will grab it by the tail and swim as fast as I can, thus towing it backwards. I only need to keep going for 2 minutes, and then I and my buddies can share a nice shark's fin soup.

Lucia

Re: Bright idea!

naiad said:
I read somewhere that sharks (at least large ones) need to move forward continuously so they can breathe, and that if a shark is towed backwards it will die in two minutes. This gave me an idea.

If I am ever unfortunate enough to be confronted by a hungry shark, I will grab it by the tail and swim as fast as I can, thus towing it backwards. I only need to keep going for 2 minutes, and then I and my buddies can share a nice shark's fin soup.

Lucia

hahaha.
I hope it was a joke....right? :wave

It better be because it ain't true. Sharks have been towed backwards by a boat for half an hour and still turn around and bite their tormentors. With sharks or anything else, either finish it off quick or let it go. Don't torment the poor thing.

Reactions: naiad
You shouldn't joke Naiad 'cos some people don't find it funny.

I remember when I was a kid and we lived on a farm and my Mum was terrified of cows and would not go out of the house.

The bulls always had a ring in their noses, I don't know if they still do that, but when they are leading the bulls around they lead them by the nose ring.

The bloke that owned the farm told my Mum not to worry, if the bull ever charged you, just grab the ring in their nose and twist it.

My Mum always believed that if a bull charged, that's all you had to do.

Anyway Naiad only you and me know, if a bull charges you just grab it by the tail and drag it backwards. Apparently if you drag a bull backwards for 2 minutes it dies, suffocates in a pile of its own bullsh*t.

Reactions: naiad
Yes, it was a joke. Proves that I should always put a laughing face after a joke. :)

I guess everyone is imagining me holding onto the tail of a 4m GWS and effortlessly carrying it along.

I hope someone isn't going to actually try it, either with a shark or bull... or a bull shark.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT