• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I lost my spear again!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Surfmatt

Sep 28, 2009
I have been using my european railgun now for about a year and have re-rigged it a few times. Recently I have lost 3 spears in nearly as many sessions (expensive)!. This has been due to the mono getting snagged in the articulated wishbone or the mono simply snapping at the point where it threads through the spear.

I am always careful to make sure that the mono is not twisted over the spear when loading.

I have tried 1.6 mm mono instead of the 1.4mm mono the gun was originally rigged with but this tended to snag. I tried Cressi 1.4 mm mono and it snapped (1st session). I have now bought some Leadertech 1.4mm mono and some anti-chaffing covers to thread over the mono at the point where it loops through the spear. I haven't been able to try it out yet as I am awaiting delivery of the new spear so I don't even know if the new rig will work (the loop may be too thick to fit in the spear/firing mechanism)?!

Does anybody else have similar problems and how do they overcome them? And also, can anybody recommend an inexpensive/reliable spear supplier in the UK.

Last edited:
Mono is terrible with abrasion resistance. Most likely you have some sharp edges around the line hole. You can try buffing it with a dremel and a buffing head mixed with some SS buffing compound. I have given up on steel wishbones and prefer to use spectra. You can get euro shafts now with tiny fins which work great. Otherwise you can use needle files and a dremel to fix up the wishbone slots. If your wishbones are still getting frayed it is a good idea to simply have loops in your bands which allow easy and very quick wishbone change. I use 1.9mm spectra for my wishbones and even on the shafts that have slits, I have no problems with it fraying, and I use a very thick 3/4" small cavity band.

Thanks for the advice Speareasy. I think i'll change the wishbone to a cord one. The rubbers are probably due for a change anyway so now would be a good time to change it over.

I use wishbone inserts that I tie Specta/Dyneema to.

MAKO Spearguns - Store

Screw caps can also be use to like the OMER to tie Spectra to.
Wishbones - ScubasWorld

The Spectra should not be too thick so it will fit the shaft grooves or fins.

I use Spectra instead of mono for shooting line.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…