• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I´m needing dry statics breath hold improvement plan

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Gotcha. Good improvement. What are your long term goals for static?
before i wasnt that much interested in beating the world record of static or anything
but my thinking was in rule of thirds, that my dynamic time is 1/3 of my static
any dynamic time less than 2min is too short to have any meaningful dive
so i will keep improving till i get over 9min static, and why not, if i can challenge world record? xD

Why not? The world record tho is 11:54. Btw I’ve been training static for right at 2 years. Recent PB is 8:45 which im proud of and would be a US best in a competition. I think 9 min is gonna happen. 10 min not so sure. 12 min seems like an impossibility at this point. Good luck.

Reactions: zazuge
Why not? The world record tho is 11:54. Btw I’ve been training static for right at 2 years. Recent PB is 8:45 which im proud of and would be a US best in a competition. I think 9 min is gonna happen. 10 min not so sure. 12 min seems like an impossibility at this point. Good luck.
I did 9min yesterday, i coudnt believe it myself either, to jump from 7min to 9min in just one week?
but i think because i was fasting yesterday, and also i watched a video about using meditation to get thro statics

What’s your breathe up, like how many breaths for how many minutes? Also what was the first breath hold time? Second? How many holds leading up to 9 min hold?

@zazuge Are you training to compete or are you wanting to do long deep spearfishing/recreational dives? Be careful with pushing yourself in the latter.

@zazuge Are you training to compete or are you wanting to do long deep spearfishing/recreational dives? Be careful with pushing yourself in the latter.
TBH, i'm training to be ready when i dive, but because i cant dive anytime soon, i found a new objective, to push my static to the limit
because rn i don't have a reason to be scared of BO during a dive
i didnt participate in any competition so far, but that might change in the future, depending on how good i'm and on my self confidence

@zazuge What is your lung capacity?
i dont know for sure, 10years ago i did got spyrometer results saying i have 7.41L VC and 9.49L TLC
but last year i tried to fill water bottles with air underwater, and i could only exhale 4.5L
i did this filling water bottle thing today too, and i got 5L, i think now from what i understand its called forced vital capacity and its not same as vital capacity
from my past spyrometer results, FVC was 5.8L back then, so i now i think i might now have lost much VC compared to when i was younger

Last edited:
What’s your breathe up, like how many breaths for how many minutes? Also what was the first breath hold time? Second? How many holds leading up to 9 min hold?
i do one warmup BH, this time it was 5min long, after it, i breath relaxed and slowly for 5min, i just fill my lungs above tidal volume, i dont exhale before the fill like i used to, i found this to be more effective to lower my HR

Just did an 8:30 today. Good effort. Still aways to go to get to 10 min. I think submerged in water likely to get better diving reflex add a minute

Just did an 8:30 today. Good effort. Still aways to go to get to 10 min. I think submerged in water likely to get better diving reflex add a minute

good effort, and good luck.

I did some estimations using an algorithm i wrote, assuming TLC is 9.45L, and using 244ml/min based on an equation that predict basal metabolism from resting heart rate of 50bpm (said equation need to know your max and min HR)
i got that 10min is my max time till O2 partial pressure falls below 0.3
i will test this out in the coming weeks

I think the key is I overtrain. I need to back off. For example I did 14 holds all over 7 min. If I wasn’t so stubborn and took about 2-3 days off and fasted (decreasing metabolic rate) that would optimize. How tall are you? There are limitations based on body structure. I’m 6’0. The world record is held by a guy 6’5” I think. Harder for a guy that’s say 5’6”.

I think the key is I overtrain. I need to back off. For example I did 14 holds all over 7 min. If I wasn’t so stubborn and took about 2-3 days off and fasted (decreasing metabolic rate) that would optimize. How tall are you? There are limitations based on body structure. I’m 6’0. The world record is held by a guy 6’5” I think. Harder for a guy that’s say 5’6”.
I'm also 6'
i dont do max much often, i noticed that if i do max STA, my performance go down, i only do them once in a week to rebuild my tables
i only focus on 1st contraction time, which is now around 2:50-3:00

I did tables the first year. I no longer do them. Now I do 30-50 holds each week over 5 min. Most over 6. Some over 7. Few over 8. At this point I’m not convinced doing a CO2 table does anything. The thing I’m most proud of is after a long hard session I’ve had a 1 min recovery and still did a 7 min hold after only a min and that’s intense. I suspect if I wouid back off my training I expect some nice increases. Maybe 10 min. We will see

I'm also 6'
i dont do max much often, i noticed that if i do max STA, my performance go down, i only do them once in a week to rebuild my tables
i only focus on 1st contraction time, which is now around 2:50-3:00
Just did a 9:15 yesterday. Very Pleased With that. After a 1 min recovery did a 7:00. After a 30 second recovery did a 5:15. My training has been consistent and hard over the past 2 years.

Just did a 9:15 yesterday. Very Pleased With that. After a 1 min recovery did a 7:00. After a 30 second recovery did a 5:15. My training has been consistent and hard over the past 2 years.
i stopped exercising past weeks, i had many business trips and driving or being on road for 10hours
plus i had a fall from my bicycle and hurtned my knee
the CO2 tables work, but their problem is that when you reach long BD time, they become a nightmare to to do, like every session is almost one hour long
and i think the long rest time at beginning of a table is a waste of time
so a session of submaximal breathholds are more efficient for less effort
i saw a video of one freediver describing exercising to extend comfort zone for a period then exercising to extend max time in another period
i dont know what this type of exercise is called

i stopped exercising past weeks, i had many business trips and driving or being on road for 10hours
plus i had a fall from my bicycle and hurtned my knee
the CO2 tables work, but their problem is that when you reach long BD time, they become a nightmare to to do, like every session is almost one hour long
and i think the long rest time at beginning of a table is a waste of time
so a session of submaximal breathholds are more efficient for less effort
i saw a video of one freediver describing exercising to extend comfort zone for a period then exercising to extend max time in another period
i dont know what this type of exercise is called
Life can easily get it the way. Let’s face it. It’s hard to get excited about long painful breath holding sessions. Hope you can get back in the swing. Not many people in the world have ever done 9 min holds or more. We both can say we have.

Reactions: zazuge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT