• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I need directions to paradise??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fluidshelf

Jan 23, 2002
I am interested in taking off for a month or two towards november and looking for a place in the carribean where I can camp and spearfish. I spent last winter in the virgin islands and had a blast but wasnt allowed to spear in the BVI at all, so most of my food came from usvi waters. Any suggestions- I asked around about the bahamas but they didn't seem too keen on camping so im back to square one. Also- im a surfer so waves would be a great bonus. Yeah- Waves, spearfishing, and camping- the perfect mix- Can i find it on the east coast???:duh
feel free to email me personally at fluidshelf@hotmail.com
thanks!!!

culbera

thanks for the suggestion. I noticed the island is surrounded by nation park- is spearing still legal even though its protected?? Also- is the campground your referring to in playa flamenco o is there other camping areas. Lastly- hows the surf there- its looks to be in a good swell window if the atlantic throws something in that direction. Sorry- dont mean to be a pain but if youd been there id really appreciate the advice. I was checking into eleuthera in the bahamas and it looked pretty rad but now im considering culebra cause it looks much cheaper.
thanks again-
anthony

I went to Puerto Rico to scount out places for a kayaking-camping-spearfishing trip. I had 4 days to look around (not nearly enough), and Culebra was my favorite place. I rented a car in San Juan and drove to Fajardo (~3 hours) There I found Puerto Rico Divers Supply: (www.prdiversupply.com). They have a lot of speafishing equipment and I talked to one of the guys that works there. He said Culebra is great for spearfishing, and that the only place where it is illegal is in Canal de Luis Pena. (You ought to call them and check to be sure) I took the ferry from Fajardo to Culebra (~$2.00; ~1.5 hours) once there I put my folding kayak together and paddled over to Tamarindo Beach (~1 hour), where I camped for the night. It was hard to beach my kayak because the reefs went right to the shore. The next morning a paddled back to the single small town on Culebra to check things out. I rented a bike and peddled over to Flamingo beach. Nice waves. Good for surfing. "Official" camping area. One guy told me that the lobstering is great here if you go at night because "los puerto ricenos tienen miedo a bucear in la noche". I pedled my bike to the other side of the island and saw, from a high point, Isla Culebrita -- which looked like it would be a great place for camping and spearfishing. Deserted, exposed, wild areas, but calm in the lee. I peddled my bicycle back and looked arond the town for cheap places to stay. Couldn't find any. Caught the ferry back to Fajardo. I wasn't there long enough, but I had the rest of PR to see.

So, if you want to camp, and you want good surf, and nearby spearfishig -- I think Flamingo beach is your place.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT