• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I use this when seducing the wife . . .

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Jan 13, 2004
A Swiss chard quiche in the Provencal Manner

1-2 bunches of Swiss chard
2 tsp scallions/chopped onion/shallots (your choice)
3 Tbs. butter
3 eggs
1 ¾ cup cream
Salt and pepper
1 baked 9-10” pie shell
¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup raisins (optional)

Take the leaves off the stems of the chard and drop in boiling water. When it returns to boil, blanch for 2-4 minutes, depending on how mature the chard is. Remove from water, drain and chop. You will need 1 ¼ cups of chopped chard leaves. Save the stems for another meal or as celery substitute.

Melt the butter and sauté the scallion/onion/shallot until transparent. Stir in the chard and let it cook at low temperature until all liquid is boiled off. Set aside.

Whisk the eggs and cream together with salt and pepper then stir in the vegetables and raisins, if used, and pour into the pie shell. Sprinkle the nuts over the top and put into a pre-heated 375 F. oven for 35-55 minutes, depending on how long it takes for the custard to set and to gently brown on top.

This makes either a really decent brunch with champagne and fresh fruit or a light dinner with a big green salad and a light Riesling or Chardonnay. I recommend cream puffs for dessert.

Reactions: bgill
Seducing the wife...Heck....I'm feeling pretty seduced myself!

Not by you you brute! By the recipe! I love Swiss Chard! :inlove

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I love it because it tastes good, because it's incredibly easy to grow, because dark green vegies are really good for you . . . The only drawback is that it makes a terrible salad. To me raw Swiss Chard tastes like soap, but cooked? Wheeeeee!

because dark green vegies are really good for you . . .

Melt the butter and sauté the scallion/onion/shallot until transparent

Whisk the eggs and cream together with salt

3 Tbs. butter
3 eggs
1 ¾ cup cream
Salt and pepper

I recommend cream puffs for dessert.

yeild 2 servings??
Im begining to worry about you Sarge you just posted a recipe for biscuts swimming in redeyed gravey the other day

No, the chard pie serves six normal people and three really hungry ones. If you use it as a brunch, it's good for six with a fruit compote. For a light dinner, perhaps as few as three or as many as six. As a side dish, it could serve eight.

But I never said that this was low-calorie. I figure that spearfishers need extra calories, especially in the cold Japan current of California.

Last edited:
Reactions: land shark
sorry but what is chard and how do you grow it or can you grow it in a place like wisconsin i am going to have to make it sometime maybe seucing my wife will be a little easy :chatupLOL no id really like to try this

sorry but what is chard and how do you grow it or can you grow it in a place like wisconsin i am going to have to make it sometime maybe seucing my wife will be a little easy :chatupLOL no id really like to try this

Check it out at the seed department of your local nursery. SW is about the easiest vegetable to grow I know of. And you only need about four plants to provide youself with all the greens you can use all summer long. In Wisconsin, I'd start the seeds indoors before the average date of late frost, maybe 2-3 weeks before, and then set them out. You harvest by pulling off the outside leaves and letting the inner ones grow. The plants will last until the first hard freeze. Your long days up north will make them grow a treat all summer.

ok thank you i have never heard of it or tried it you dont mind if i take your recipe to us ???

Good grief, man, why else would I post them on the web? Enjoy in good health!

If you grow Swiss Chard, try to find the packets labeled 'Rainbow Chard' you'll get white, pink, red, and dark green...it really is easy to grow, and makes a great leaf to use if you want to try Dolmas w/o the grape leaves.
Lazy cooks like myself don't bother blanching, I just roll the leaves up raw, shred them with a knife, and throw 'em in a covered pot with just enough oil in the bottom to keep it from sticking. Some of us cooking fanatics will brown a couple of tablespoons of finely diced pancetta in the pot and skip the oil. Add the sliced chard leaves and cover tightly - the steam from the vegies will help cook them if you just stir once a minute or so...add salt and pepper, serve, and then drizzle a swipe of balsamic vinegar over them.
Home grown chard is le plus ultra!
BTW, Sarge...nice recipe!!!

Damn,
Uncle Sven and OceanSwimmer both back on the scene. Just like old times, by gar.

Swimmer, no I just pour the cream into the eggs (or vice-versa) whisk a bit then add the veggies. It's really a very simple recipe, the kind I call Cave Man Gourmet.

Hi Sven,
To catch everyone up, I don't have sleep apnea so they won't drill out my sinuses. As soon as I get time to drive down the beach I'll give Zycan eucalyptus and menthol a try. If that doesn't clear the sinuses, the next step is nitric acid!

I've lost 30+ lbs since September so even my love handles are dwindling. I'm aiming for another 20-30 and after a plateau over the Holidays (which lasted clear to my birthday!) I'm once again on the move. Feeling really good, on top of the world, headed for Chattanooga for the last week of April so I think I'll be out of the loop unless the school makes good on its promise of a laptop before then.

Back rubs are great, but front rubs, now . . .

One leads to the other if you're smooth.

Glad you didn't have to get cut on; it really wasn't that bad. The hurt came from trying to get the insurance company to pony up!

...Sven! What a surprise!
And Bill, sorry the insurance won't pony up. As Sven says, it's not that bad.

Last edited:
Now that I'm doing most of my med work at the VA, they may go along with the idea but I'm going to try the Zicam first. Maybe I'll try for the drill later if it doesn't work.

I fully concur about back-to-front rubs. I even bought her a massage chair. It takes up less room than a table and is a lot easier on my back than trying to do a good job on the bed . . . the back rub, I mean.

Going home to try this for my wife for mother's day with my three little kitchen helpers!

It's so easy, if you use premade crust, that even a little kitchen helper could make it. Start 'em young, I say.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…