• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I wanna shoot carp!!!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Vectra

Jul 21, 2003
Hi all!
Close to where I live is a lil lake with monster big carps.
Im planning on bringing my harpoon and shoot some carpies. Since the water is kinda mirky Im planning on folding a big white or light coloured tarp out somwhere on the bottom and put lots of bait for the carps to feed on.
Anyone tried hunting for carps? Im interested in all experiences =)

Not sure they taste too good. Pity to have to chuck them out.

I hunt carp. Visibility usually stays around 4 meters here, so Im not sure how that compares with you. In my experience, they are not a tough fish to hunt. They present a large target, and do not swim quickly. They also do not scare as easily as most fishes. The main trouble I have with them is getting a spear through their tough scales. I have had spears bounce right off many times. Hopefully this will not be a problem with my new Riffe #0. :eek:

Carp are not the best for eating, but I do. I had an old Aunt from Germany that used to cook carp, and with the right seasonigs and sauces the fish can become agreeable. The texture of the meat is quite good, being firm and flaky, but lots of bones.

I have never tried baiting carp, but I know they eat corn. Let us know how your experiment goes.

I image your tarp wouldn't look too pretty after a day of spearing. I do the saltwater thing myself, but try tying a bag of chum in a nylon stalking so it won't wash out. Then tie a rope to the weighted chum bag (to keep it on the bottom, obviously) and an empty bleach bottle or other large colored screw-on top bottle to the other end. Make sure the rope is about the same length as the depth your in. Then make drops about ten feet away and swim, on the bottom, towards the chum bag. Have fun.

Me too!

A friend and I have been trying to figure out how to let a city here let us spear some carp in their lake. The city has a lake that specifically says no weapons or anything like a knife gun etc allowed. I have on many occasions seen huge carp in this lake.

Apache

Originally posted by Hephaestus
I have had spears bounce right off many times. Hopefully this will not be a problem with my new Riffe #0. :eek:

An MT#0 with 3 bands will send a spear clean through one of those pigs (unless you land a head-shot on a big boy). I have a custom wood gun the same size as an MT0, and use the same bands and spear that accompanies that gun. Your days of 'bouncing spears' are over ;).

Show no mercy. Kill em all; let God sort em out :).

Ted

Ted has a custom woody.

I agree, a rig like yours or the Ted's with a couple of 5/8 bands will provide you with all the crap-fish you'll ever develop a taste for. :yack Give yourself the edge and use a 3/8 shaft. The added strength/weight of the shaft will punch through the scales and often right into the log just behind it.

Oh, and I reiterate my favorite recipe for carp, me being a Swede and we Swede's eat fish 4 times a day... (easy there Ted...)

Take a carp, no matter what the size. Go to a hole you've dug next to a rose bush. Drop the carp in the hole and cover with the dirt you removed earlier. Tamp the pile with the shovel and walk merrily away. Mmm.:p

It's an old Swedish saying...

Anything you can bury is no longer a problem:eek: .
Another “recipe” from the old land. Use any fish you don’t eat as bat fish when fishing for crawfish, they eat everything.
And yes Swedes love crawfish:friday .

Mia

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Surströmming

Hi,
thanks for the tips on how to prepare carp to make a nice dinner;) If I shoot a fish its gonna be eaten,by me, the cat or someone---just a principle I live and shoot by.
By the way....If I drop a dead carp in a hole in the ground and dig it up a week later,----thatd pretty much resemble the smell of surströmming wouldnt it?! rofl people eat that ya know! hehe

Re: Ted has a custom woody.

Originally posted by icarus pacific
[

Take a carp, no matter what the size. Go to a hole you've dug next to a rose bush. Drop the carp in the hole and cover with the dirt you removed earlier. Tamp the pile with the shovel and walk merrily away. Mmm.:p [/B]

rofl rofl rofl

I have the same gun as Ted, custom wooded one, and it has seen it's fair share of carp. I have also tagged a few with my Rob Allen 75cm. You can usually get close enough to the things to just grab them, so range isn't an issue.

Your MT #0 should work great.

Smoked carp are rather tasty, if you have a smoker. I also have a friend from the Czech Republic who has lots of recipies for carp. She says they used to eat them for Christmas dinner over there.

Jon

this is a tasty recipe for carp to: http://www.kochbuch-und-kuechenhilfe.de/Seiten/Rezepte/Fisch/karpfengemuese.htm

don`t know if you understand german??!!

here in austria there are alot of carps and i think they are naturally inhabitant in our rivers and lakes
I know that in the us carps are not very much appreciated but here in austria there are a lot of people who fish carps (by rod)
I even caught one about 13kg=26lbs??

we also have many ways of preparation, and it is traditionally eaten at x-mas:)

This is turning in to a culinary tread ;).

So I’m taking heat from a Norwegian, the country that's responsible for Lutfisk;). I don’t eat that, nor would I like to try the carp.
And no the carp wouldn’t taste as good nor would it smell as bad as surströmming either:).
For those that’s not familiar to this delicacy. The strömming/fish is put in open barrels with saltwater, after a few days it’s barrelled with fresh less salty water to start the yeasting process that takes about eight weeks. Then it’s canned, the yeasting process continues so the cans sometimes look like a ball. Opening the can might be hazardous, it can explode and sensitive people can react to the smell, some dogs even flee, and you can lose some guests now:D. The pros think the party begins with the welcoming smell, but it tastes much better than it smells. The smell is bad :yack even for me that grew up with this, and for this reason parties are often held outside. There’s an opening date for surströmming , this is a very important day with weeks of feasting in the north of Sweden. You have to attend to several parties so you really can appreciate all the ways this delicacy can be enjoyed in:). http://www.surstromming.se/recept.htm

Hope you get to experience and enjoy the Swedish surströmmingskiva ;),

Mia

Re: This is turning in to a culinary tread ;).

Originally posted by mia
So I’m taking heat from a Norwegian, the country that's responsible for Lutfisk;). I don’t eat that, nor would I like to try the carp.
And no the carp wouldn’t taste as good nor would it smell as bad as surströmming either:).
Mia

Ja sure, you betcha! :yack This stuff makes the Korean's kim chi smell like Chanel No 5

Are you allowed to light candles at the surströmmingskiva?
Or do you risk an explosion.....?
"Damn, what's that smell?"
"It's dinner, honey!"

Traditional Norwegian Food

I once tried to explain an american about traditional norwegian food during the lunch break at a conference w ppl from all over the world....MAN did that come out funny!! To list but a few:

Lutfisk - Fish marinated in caustic soda

Rakfisk - dead trout put in a bucket to rot (tastes like rotten fish marinated in diesel)

Smalahove - Head of lamb burned by a torch flame

Gravlaks - ( Grave salmon???) see rakfisk

...and the list goes on
;)

For a humouristic perspective on Traditional Norwegian Food listen to the song "Traditional Norwegian Food" by the band Black Debbath and laugh your axx off

Reactions: DeepThought
Thanks!

Hi Harpune1 =) Thanks for your information!! I WILL try to eat it. Hopefully a 100cm picasso cenury will be enuff to pierce it....cant imagine it wont

Pål

Hey, I like kimchee. I've even enjoyed it for breakfast . . . of course that was in Korea . . . during field maneuvors . . . with three feet of snow on the ground! Maybe that's the sort of weather that even makes lutfisk and surströmming appealing, though as a Lutheran Italian (if you can believe that) the best part of Christmas is leftsa.:p

Last edited:
I just got a few carp today, a pair with my Riffe Comp. #0 and one with a new Omer T20 75 with an extra 16mm rubber. Both guns had no problem at all with the task. I am putting together a review but have not had them in the water enough just yet.

Ted and Jon, you guys inspired me to get back into the sport after my previous equiptment gave out. Cheers.

Typical Sven, feeds his fish to the flowers, then gives the roses to the ladies. I can't compete with that....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT