• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wanted I want tons of stuff!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Blacktocomm

Apr 28, 2011
I am new to spearfishing, and free diving and I am looking to get a decent set up for cheap, and some extra stuff to maybe take people out with me once in awhile. I will need

A couple good masks/snorkels
a wetsuit for a 6'2" 180 pound man
A speargun or collapsible pole spear
Fins for size 12-13 foot
Gloves maybe?

If you can think of anything else that might be needed in a beginner set up let me know!

thanks!

Yeah, I reckon Mako would be good.

Unless you are dealing with huge pelagic fish, the inexpensive inflatable torpedo floats work very well and are light & convenient to carry - I still use one 95% of the time. Ditch the para-cord though (not stiff enough) & you only need the fancy, very expensive tube float-lines for big pelagic fish - try something like the inexpensive RA 'Thai -curry green' polyester float line (or similar stiff polyster rope/washing line) - which can also be used for large pelagic fish; alternatively aquarium air-tube:

Where abouts are you going to be diving Blacktocomm? What is the visibility like (i.e. how far can you see/how far away are the fish likely to be).

Eliossub in Italy can make a spearo suit to fit you - which is possibly the best feature of a good spearo suit.

Cheapest proper spearo fins I have seen were by Seacsub on ebay for a seller in the UK @ about £28/$45- about half the price of any other product I have come across. I own some Seacsub stuff (mask, snorkel) and it is top notch. Here is ebay ad, it will probably do currency conversion for you:

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEAC-SUB-X-PRO-FINS-Freediving-spearfishing-6-5-13-/350405283836?pt=UK_SportingGoods_MasksSnorkels_Flippers_SM&var=&hash=item905b5829db]SEAC SUB X-PRO FINS Freediving spearfishing 6.5-13 | eBay UK[/ame]

And these are even cheaper (£19 inc. UK shipping!):
[ame="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Snorkelling-Fins-Flippers-SEAC-BLACK-6-7-RRP-29-95-/330525122646?pt=UK_SportingGoods_MasksSnorkels_Flippers_SM&hash=item4cf4d52056"]NEW Snorkelling Fins Flippers SEAC BLACK 6/7 RRP £29.95 | eBay UK[/ame]

I just notice Mako are carrying fins now too. The competition fins look good value and you could always upgrade the blades later if the urge grabbed you [MAKO Competition Freediver fins - $89.95 per pair]. Omer foot-pockets seem to be almost the defacto standard. I like my Beuchat footpockets & the basic competition blades have lasted for years, despite my rather high weight/strength/abuse of them.

• float with decent-size diver-down flag, float-line, float-stringer &/or belt-stringer (If you're not diving from a boat).
  • Sharp, pointy spearo dagger (for emergencies, dispatching/gutting fish - the stringer-spike can be use for dispatching too tho').
  • Neoprene Gloves (I like Beuchat gloves. 2 or 3mm, super-stretch is handy, close fit).
  • Neoprene Socks (maybe 4/5mm, close fit).
  • Weight belt (rubber, Marseille-style buckle, lead weights ... maybe 12-24lb, depends. e.g. I'm 240lb, wear 5mm wetsuit - carry 22lb. Start low and build up weight gradually as required).
  • Crab/lobster/scallop/ormer/abalone/bounty net bag.
  • Low volume, twin lens spearo mask - black or camo.
  • A decent, simple J snorkel ... e.g. Omer Zoom, Beuchat Tubair, etc.
  • Bottle of lube (diluted shampoo/shower gel to get your close-fitting, open-cell spearo wetsuit on)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobdonny
i could sell u some lead weights they are the lace thru style i make them myself using a mold i bought PM if interested

Thanks for the help, I ended up buying a raft and all the stuff I needed from a local guy! I am diving in fairly clear waters near my work.
Posted via Mobile Device

i could sell u some lead weights they are the lace thru style i make them myself using a mold i bought PM if interested
Like "Alton"/RA-style or OMD "bullet" weights? I like those. They use up less of the weight belt, are closer fitting, offer finer granularity when changing weights and a simple tap with a hammer can be used to lock them in place. Better than regular SCUBA weights I reckon.

Pity weights are so expensive to ship. Alton-style moulds (from a forum member, available on ebay worldwide) probably make a lot of sense, although I have yet to muster enough enthusiasm to melt lead myself - I guess I have some safety concerns:crutch. Do you get your lead from the local scrap metal merchant (rather than church roofs:naughty)?

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…