• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

i won second place!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jtkwest

recreational user
Dec 2, 2007
i dont know where to post this thread, so i am putting it here k w open spearfishing tournament: our boat had two of the ONLY three sportfish entered,(everyone tank dives for black groupers and muttons , etc. here. one guy shot a 54# cobia(tank) we went offshore 20 miles both days for sportfish.freediving . i used my homemade gun, first shot, and got a 7# dolfin,(small, but still big enough for second, since there were only three fish total entered in that class, and third went to my buddy from my boat. it was 6 to 9 ft seas sat. and we couldnt find any debris for wahoo,(our target fish) so we trolled baits for dolfin on sun. and got a few until mate was stung by a manowar and started having trouble breathing, so we headed back early. i will shrink some pics and enter them soon. WOW reef hunting pales in comparison. my homemade gun shoots straight sportfish was dolfin,cobia wahoo and kingfish, incidently. some guy shot a 69# black grouper on a wreck 240 ft deep! crazy! i have never even seen one that big!

Last edited:
That 69lb grouper was on a tank I assume? If so, that grouper was probably eaten and decomposed by the time he decompressed and hit the surface

job well done JT, I'm hoping to get into a spearfishing tournament this summer, if I'm doing well enough by then!

-John

Last edited:
no he weighed it in, i got pics, will post them maybe tomorrow. hope you get better

results: mutton at 15.1lbs won snapper class, 69# black won grouper, 65 amberjackwon amberjack, 10.1 lb hog won hog class, 54# cobia won sportfish, all were tank dives, some people even brought fish to weigh in with hooks in mouth, and there werent even any cash prizes! first place for each cat. won a 110 euro riffe x . second got a 48 inch ab biller teak,(i got that) and third got a monster pole spear. plus a bunch of small stuff we all got like riffe hats and dry boxes, etc. plus silver cup trophies. we caught a bull dolfin at 11 lbs or something on hook and line but we dont get down with cheating, wouldnt have mattered anyway as it turned out

Congrats! Too bad you didnt get to test your gun on something a little bigger!

In Hawaii we call the little Mahis 10lbs or less "cane knives"

Did you get your gear squared away? Did you use the breakaway w/ bungee connected to your release pin? if so how did it work?

[QU[OTE] i did use that set up to fix up my buddies gun, but on mine, i got a neptonics float line extender,(same thing really, just a little cooler looking. worked good. riffe ice pick line got into a tangled mess with float line, but i guess i needed it in case we found some big wahoo or bull dolfin. next weekend is round two. spearboard open is in tampa soon. we are gonna shoot here and drive up to enter there

nice job buddy...everyone will see the results in the July issue of SPEARING magazine ...better get a subscription...and now you're famous.
Charlie
SPEARING

Excellent job! Is this a yearly event? I have family down there and have already told them I am comming in May of 09 but I did not tell them its because I wont to do a competition and I assumed this one would be a yearly. Maybe I can have some beginners luck. Slimsteve

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…