• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I'd like you to meet a very important person ;)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ultra

Jul 6, 2005
Hi everyone!

My interest in diving comes from my goal to join the NSW community. (Naval Special Warfare) I'd like to learn about recreational freediving here.

- John M.

Last edited:
Welcome!

There's a great series on BUD/s (Navy Seal training) at discovery.com you should check it out if you haven't seen it already

smellsfishy

drownproofing might be a good exercise for you -good for building confidence in water. (not something to try on your own of course)

Thanks Alun, I plan to do some. (I will have to be good at it for Navy SEAL training.)

Alun said:
drownproofing might be a good exercise for you -good for building confidence in water. (not something to try on your own of course)
What's that? Is it just jumping into water outdoors with no equipment and getting used to it?

Lucia

this photo pretty much sums it up. it's quite an extreme exercise - probably not that helpful to freedivers but it's something our friend John will have to get used to :)

Attachments

• drownproofing.jpg
    drownproofing.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 226
That looks extreme to me! A few weeks ago someone in a freediving club picked me up and jumped in the deep end of the pool with me as a joke. I wasn't expecting it at all and the first thing I knew was that I suddenly found myself underwater without warning, without a mask or fins. I freaked out and got to the surface as fast as I could. Fortunately I held my breath instantaneously, so it wasn't too bad.

Scary stuff!

Lucia

Reactions: laura storm
I would rather not get into situation like that..:) fins and suit belong to my diving gear.. no restrictive "equipment"..:)

naiad said:
That looks extreme to me! A few weeks ago someone in a freediving club picked me up and jumped in the deep end of the pool with me as a joke. I wasn't expecting it at all and the first thing I knew was that I suddenly found myself underwater without warning, without a mask or fins. I freaked out and got to the surface as fast as I could. Fortunately I held my breath instantaneously, so it wasn't too bad.

Scary stuff!

Lucia
I know that feeling all to well, its supprising what you can do when there is no choice but having the choice is what makes the difference between fun and fear.

Lucia, that's not the first time you tell such tale. Maybe it's about time you'll print "no freediving S&M" on a shrit....

DeepThought said:
Maybe it's about time you'll print "no freediving S&M" on a shrit....
Not a bad idea! It has happened at least four times now, by different people and in different places. If it happens again the joker will be sorry... :rcard :martial

Now I am very careful about other people in the pool, and I try to avoid surfacing near anyone if I don't have a buddy. If the pool is deep and crowded, this sometimes looks like something out of a nature documentary. I look around for a clear patch of surface and then make a dash for it. I'm definitely more scared of people than of most dangerous animals!

Lucia

Reactions: DeepThought
rofl Add some David Attenborough narration in your mind while on the look for a patch.
naiad said:
I'm definitely more scared of people than of most dangerous animals!
That is so familiar... :hmm

Reactions: naiad
Well the drowning thing is not a hard thing to do, I've done some but got bored of it. I tried it when I started scuba diving at the age of 18 in 3,6m /~ 16Ft deep pool.

I've applied to become an officer in the army here, but I'm very happy now that I've been turned down. I don't want to kill get wounded, handycapped, poisoned (DU) or killed boosting the economy of banking industrial complex. I no value life very differently, have come to love myself and every lifeform on earth. Please read Alex Jones' www.prisonplanet.tv carefully and read how politicians and those in power value life, including that of militairy man.
There are so much oppertunities to make yourself usefull in society, go out talk, listen and think for yourself.

I reconise freediving can open the mind and show the many beauties of our body mind and universe. Please do not punish your body with extreme stress, it will create a enemy out of the ocean by negative association of apnea and pain. Just be in the water often, learn it's nature instead of conquering it. It's more like surrendering and going with the flow.

Looking for an important person? look in the mirror. Teachers can only show you the doors. The awsers come from within, just open your sences and listen. Underwater and in nature it's a great theather for listening, because there are few distractions.

Thanks for posting,

Love, peace and water,

Kars.

Kars said:
Well the drowning thing is not a hard thing to do, I've done some but got bored of it.
rofl Doesn't sound good!

Lucia

I gave drowning a shot too but in all honesty I still prefer breathing :D

Treading water with a rubber brick is also great practice. (For what I am not sure.) ;)

This all reminds me of my first (failed) swimming lessons when I was about 6! One of the methods was to use a sort of fishing rod, with the string tied round the non-swimmer's waist or chest. The teacher used the rod to support the student and walk him/her round the pool like a panicking spider. There were also waterlogged polystyrene or foam boards, which were meant to be used as floats. I couldn't manage to float in a satisfactory position, i.e. with my face out of the water, even with more than one of them.

Frustrated by all this, I decided that it can't be that difficult, and threw myself in the pool. I hadn't considered the fact that my face might go in the water, and when this happened I didn't think that it might be a good idea to hold my breath. I got a nice lungful of water and the teacher picked me up. A few minutes later, undeterred, I decided to give it a second try. The teacher didn't let me.

Several years later, when I was 12, I did learn to swim, this time without the fishing rod, polystyrene chunks etc.

All this still hasn't put me off!

Lucia

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT