• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Iki spike

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tlong

Aug 30, 2008
I don't know how many of you would be interested in this, but I made a kill spike the other day, mostly because I thought I might need one. I call it the "Stanley Manly"
DSCN1209.jpg

I made a sheath of sorts for it as well, from an old aluminum arrow I had lying around, which I will mount to my gun and deploy it from there if needed.
DSCN1210.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X
its a good idea, except one problem: the metal in that screwdriver will turn incredibly rusty incredibly fast. i made a bunch of them from lengths of old bent spears, just made wooden handles. heres a tip, if you want to make one out of a screwdriver, they DO sell stainless steel screwdriver/ tool sets at marine and boating stores. if you use one of those, it will hold up better. when you grind metal, it somehow exposes it to rust far more than if not. plus , dont leave that thing in the sheath for storage, the two opposing metals will react and leave oxidation, and you wont be able to open it anymore. sorry to be a naysayer. it IS a good idea, just get stainless steel screwdriver to begin with, and the sheath should be either the same metal as knife or plastic. i've already done the research on this one, trust me

I appreciate your response, and will look into your suggestions. Thanks for the heads up.

use the thing till it rusts out, you may make it last a while if you take care to rinse and store it correctly. i'm not trying to be a know it all. i dont blame you for making one, the rob allen one is 50$ so even if you use that one twice, throw it away, buy a S.S screwdriver, for 7$ and make another one, you are still way ahead of the game. or maybe i'm wrong and it will last all season, who knows?

That was my plan, and like you said, who knows, it may last all season or two. Even if it rusts and turns to dust after two dives, I'm out $2, or even worse, say I drop it, and couldn't get to it. I'm not out the 40-50 bucks for the store bought.

looks good, a couple questions if you don't mind...what did you use to grind the tip so nicely? do you have any tips for tying a monkey' fist knot so nicely? I know how to tie them in theory but when it come time to tightenit down, mine always suck..

thanks in advance and thanks for sharing the diy build

Reactions: Mr. X
I used a belt sander for the point. Thanks for the comment on the monkey fist, I thought I sucked. The best advice I can give is slowly pull one end until that particular strand just makes contact with the other looser strands. Then take your time and feed each individual strand, pulling it tighter until tight. Clear as mud?? Check out stormdrane.blogspot.com and animated knots.
Here are some newer renditions with stainless rods...
DSCN1226.jpg

DSCN1269.jpg

DSCN1259.jpg

Reactions: Tin Man
looks good, very comfortable to hold, just might be a little bulky...I'd add a hole to run a bungee or rope loop too.

Already beat you to it, just didn't take a pic. My plan is still to try and mount it on the bottom of my gun, but will put it on my BC if needed.

The leash on the first spike is really nice, a premium feature! If you lightly oil (or grease?) the first spike it will likely last longer.
This oiler is great way to protect tools from rusting (a very common problem in the UK :( ). I use mine a lot, mainly for woodworking & gardening tools but it has other uses too:

These inexpensive stainless steel ice picks look like potential ike jimi spikes, with some fettling & a metal tube or wooden sheath perhaps:
Amazon: Amazon product

ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BarBits-...Steel-Ice-Cube-Bar-Cocktail-Tool/142606894545

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
The design and wearing of the sheath are important considerations. Upper arm/lower arm/calf/thigh/belt/float/etc. How attached? How released? How re-sheathed/reattached?

I made a couple spikes a few years ago, using cheap, readily available thermoplastic chainsaw-file handles and awl spikes. The red thermoplastic file handles were very good: £1 each and they produced a result not unlike the lovely but extremely expensive Rob Allen ike jimi spike. I attached the handle by a loop of elastic bungee to the bottom of a metal-tube sheath (made from a piece of old, stainless steel, telescopic car aerial (BrE.)/antenna (AmE.)). I looped it to my weight-belt with the elastic loop, which both secured spike & sheath and held them together. It worked quite well, when I drew the spike from the sheath, the metal sheath slid behind the belt and freed itself quite easily. Rethreading it back on the belt was a bit more fiddly but not too bad - an area for improvement though. Unfortunately, after spiking one fish I dropped it while trying to rethread it to my belt and by the time I had finished stringing the fish (a v. good mullet which I did not want to loose) was unable to locate it* :(. Perhaps I was sloppy dropping it, as my spearo dagger & fish-stringer spikes all have lanyards**, so dropping them is not a big deal. However, I felt over-equipped, as I was already carrying a spearo-dagger/dive-knife, I had a good, long, sharp spike on my RA float-stringer and a rather poor but usable little spike on my (Beuchat/Omer?) nylon waist stringer. The little iki jime spike on your person probably is the fastest & best way to dispatch fish tho'.

* Despite the red handle (red light is absorbed fastest in seawater as depth increases, which makes it somewhat camouflage/grey as depth increases) and being relatively shallow water, close to shore - too much weed , sea movement - and excitement :).

**Long ago, I dropped my cheap spearo dagger while out diving but managed to recover it the next day while re-tracing my dive route, it was on top of a reef glistening in sun - couldn't believe my luck! I had lost a cheap but very nice dive knife prior to that. So after than I added a 30 or 40lb monofilament lanyard to the dagger, stong enough to hold it but weak enough to cut/break in extremis. That was maybe 6-10 years ago and I am still using the same spearo dagger.

It's a pity that the Rob Allen ike jime spike isn't more like £10-£25 than £40-£50, that would solve the problem for most of us!
RA_Iki_Spike_Large_2.470.jpg

I expect the sheath is the expensive bit but all quite simple/basic.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT