• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I'm back in the water

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
And it feels great.

I had not been in the water since early April while waiting for the hole in my leg to heal over. Missing a season is hard, but it really sucks when you're 79 and don't know how many seasons you have left. I got the OK from the doc a couple of weeks ago, but Terrafin kept showing horrible chlorophyll along the coast and even at the islands, and I seem to have lost crew over the summer.

Yesterday Terrafin still looked bad along the coast, but I found a crew and decided I just had to quit waiting for perfection and go for it. At some of our spots south of the Dana Point the kelp showed pretty thick on the sounder but wasn't reaching the surface and the vis didn't look very good from the boat anyway. But finally we found a couple of beds with 20 to 25 foot vis. We didn't see any white sea bass or yellowtail, but it seemed just great to finally be back in the water. It was probably just as well that my watch needed a new battery, but I don't think I was too much worse than I was in April. After all, how low can you go and still be under water?

The high point was a spot where the black sea bass were as thick as flies. On one dive I had five of them circling me. It was almost scary. Last year I had seen the same thing at this kelp bed and figured it was a fluke, but it seems that there must really be something special about that spot. Anyway, even if they are protected and we can't shoot them, its fun to see a lot of fish as big as you are.

There isn't much season left, but at least I now I can try to make the best of it.

A nice day, Bill. May I be still doing as well in 10 years or so.
Know what you feel like on the black sea bass. We have Goliath grouper in Florida that are getting "thick as flies" and big enough to be scary.

Red tide has been so bad here that I suspect I won't see near as many the next time it gets clear enough to dive.

Glad to hear you're back Bill.

I rather be in the water anytime than scratching my balls... :p:LOL:

Bill, your an Inspiration. I hope I'm still going at it at 79, leg holes and all! Bravo, and good luck next time with those wsb!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT