• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I'm in Pain!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PSagion88

Oct 31, 2007
Today while spearfishing, something got on my eyes. I don't know if it was the anti fog or the little bit of ear drops I accidentally put on the mask. I did wash it so I don't know what happen.
Now I'm in intolerable pain!!!! Mom gave me some of dad pain killers, but still, i can't stop tearing (The high from the pills those feel good though)... However, I feel like a high school drama queen who has just been cheated on.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

Hopefully this thing goes away, i want to go back to the water tomorrow, it was a good hunt today, and tomorrow its say to be even better.:crutch

sorry mate..never experienced that one..but it must have been something in the mask..i never tried mask defog in my eye before :) so dont know if it hurts.. play it safe and spit in the mask next time :)
cheers

Sounds like you might have damaged the protective layer of skin that covers the eye, like what happens to welders when they get a flash. Try putting some full fat milk in them, the fat will lubricate the eyelid over the eye. Even better seek medical advice, your eyes are precious things.
In future use spit as an anti fogging agent, it works just as well if not better on a correctly prepared mask, costs nothing and is totally harmless.

Hey PSagion88,

Not sure if you can read this or not...:crutch
Def recommend using spit, just make sure you don't rinse it out after you spit and rub (it's tempting but renders it less effective). Sorry to hear about the pain. Never heard of that before. Is it a new mask? Could it be silicone or some other compound rubbing off? Did you wash the mask before use?

Hope you feel better soon. And if it doesn't subside soon, certainly follow Pastor's advice and see a doctor. Never heard of any successful blind spearos...:head I guess a lateral line might help under those circumstances...

just make sure you don't rinse it out after you spit and rub (it's tempting but renders it less effective).

I do rinse it out after spitting, and it lasts the whole session, whether 2 or 4 hours. Perhaps it varies individually.

did you put your eye in the saltwater after this had happened and try flushing it?Saltwater is a solvent and usually will dissolve things soo...next time?

I do rinse it out after spitting, and it lasts the whole session, whether 2 or 4 hours. Perhaps it varies individually.

You have super spit! :)
A light rinse works OK for me (don't want the spit dribbling into my eyes...), but I've had varying success with anything more than that. Must indeed be individual. Perhaps I need to the consistency of my spit...I hear chewing tobacco helps rofl

Gotta rinse, the water is green enough! Lasts me through a 6 hour dive but if I take it off getting in the boat I re gob it for good measure

I just got back from the doctor, and according to him I'm allergic to an additive in the anti fog, he advise me to use a different brand or to not use it at all.

Thanks for caring guys, thats how fellow spearos become better friends than the ones we think are good friends.

Cool, it's good to hear you're OK, eyes are always a worry.

Funny you should say that, there was a thing on breakfast TV on Friday morning about a recent phenomenon of internet communities being closer than some real families according to some study or other

Thats true... I belong to an internet community and at least 20 of us passed around the same dose of chlamydia :D

I spit in mask when packing gear & by the time I reach venue & get in water spit is dry . Then I rinse & it is the ok for the entire dive .

Sometimes i like my family and freinds to spit in my eyes.

Real dive buddies swap spitrofl

now my own spit i dig it, but someone else's? don't you think that pushing it to far?

Spit is king for keeping your mask fog free. but maybe i'm biased, 15+ years of scuba, snorkling and freediving and it's all I've ever used

Yes, a loogie a day keeps the fog away. Saliva makes the world go round!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT