• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

im looking for a new mask.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

aaronrushton

Jul 2, 2010
hi all,
i currently have a beaver stealth mask which looks very flash with reflective lenses and fake carbon fibre stuff and fits me ok but it dose'nt give a very wide field of view and gives the effect of tunneling. i know the best thing is to find which masks fits me best but for now can any of you recommend a low volume mask with a wide field of view?
cheers,
Aaron.

I have an Omer Alien and a Seacsub Combat X-lite (like a fancier version of Omer Bandit/Cressi Superocchio/Samurai), both are twin lens for low volume and consequently have a somewhat restricted view, not much to choose between them. The latter was cheaper (for me) and came with a proper mask box. I think there are some newer whizzier masks around now (new occhio, TEchnisub & the one mentioned above) but these do the job. I suspect your Beaver mask is pretty similar - although Mirroring is probably like wearing shades -- probably not so great in the limited light of our typical British murk.

I thought the Cressi Matrix had a pretty good field of view when I tried one in the store. It's probably intended to be a smaller SCUBA mask (compared to the Cressi Big Eyes) rather than a spearing mask perhaps. Other forum members liked them too. Slightly higher volume than most modern spearing mask. The lower volume Cressi Lince & Lince II is not as nice IMHO - but would probably suit somebody with a small/slim face/head.

Driving down to S. Wales this weekend. Just taking rods though - not enough time to sort out spearing unfortunately:(.

Last edited:
I would look at the Riffe or AQA Masks (they are exactly the same masks just different brand names) the Mantis 5 And Mantis LV are the most popular and the LV has the best vollume to range of vision I have ever seen, although I personalty use the Naida. I don't think these masks are very popular outside of hawaii but they kick BUTT i would never buy a mask by a different company. they last forever, to my backup mask (Mantis) is about 10 years old

Bob Hollis M-1 mask for me.
Cheers, Don Paul

Attachments

• HG205_4500-640.jpg
    HG205_4500-640.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I just bought an Atomic frameless because I liked the field of vision and the fit, plus its black. I don't know if it is low volume or not. My question is, what is the advantage of a low volume mask? It would seem the air added to a higher volume mask via the nose is not so large as to affect bottom time, but please correct me if I am wrong.

I just bought an Atomic frameless because I liked the field of vision and the fit, plus its black. I don't know if it is low volume or not. My question is, what is the advantage of a low volume mask? It would seem the air added to a higher volume mask via the nose is not so large as to affect bottom time, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Spearfishing freedivers like to have a low volume mask because less air is needed to equalize on deep dives.
Cheers, Don Paul

Last edited:
But how much of a difference does it really make? I dive to 60-70 feet, which isn't extremely deep, but I've never noticed any problem with mask equalization. I guess I'll have to try it to find out.

But how much of a difference does it really make? I dive to 60-70 feet, which isn't extremely deep, but I've never noticed any problem with mask equalization. I guess I'll have to try it to find out.

Many of the comp divers and pearl divers dove with big round face plates
when I started diving. Somehow some of them hit depth over 120fsw.

I'm just a spero and don't dive over 105' where I live so a super low volume mask is not a big deal to me. I have used a Italian Soleil for 30 years and still managed a few nice fish.

A large volume mask will bubble all the way back to the surface as pressurized air used to equalized escapes. I draw this air back in through my nose to prevent this but I don't know if it a safe practice.:naughty
All I know it has worked for me so far.
Cheers, Don

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT