• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Immersion 10mm wetsuit.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cal Bate

Sep 3, 2017
Hi,

I’m currently diving in really cold waters in the UK.
I’m looking at upgrading my 5mm and I’ve seen the 10mm wetsuit from immersion which I feel like would be crazy warm?

Has anyone used or seen a 10mm wetsuit before?

Thanks.

Nope..

But using logic, based on seeing/ trying 1,3,5, and 7mm wetsuits I things its safe to assume that a 10mm suit would be (extremely) buoyant, uncomfortable, heavy at depth, hard to breath in, and yes.. Warm. However warmth mostly depends on fit.. so a leaky 10mm is less warm that an perfectly fitting 5 or maybe even 3mm that doesn't let in water.

Probably don't go more than 7mm.. Aim for custom/perfect fit, I have a good fitting 5mm (compressed to 4mm) and I'm good for 45-60 mins ice diving in Canada, and diving at the NDAC in Chepstow its only particularly cold below 40m when the suit gets really thin.

I used to snorkel and scuba dive in a 9+9mm two-piece wetsuit. It's amazingly warm (for a wetsuit), but weighting becomes a problem. To be able to get down with a duck dive I needed 14kg lead on me. That was painful on my back after a while, so I had to get a weight vest with a big 5kg back-plate, and the other 9-10kg on the belt.

Now I ever went down to 5-6m max so buoyancy changes weren't so important. If you're planning to do deep diving, I would not recommend it. Fighting your negative buoyancy at 30m with 14kg is going to be terrible. The suit works great for scuba diving though, at least with steel tanks that take a few kg off your belt.

diving in Alaska (Prince William Sound) during the winter I used an 8.5mm Imersion top and 7mm farmer john, along with 5mm socks and gloves. It was plenty for me for an hour. As mentioned, a thicker suit was cause problems getting down, and then getting back up.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT