• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

importing/buying spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jul 13, 2019
hey guys
been thinking about importing some gear from South Africa and as i am from Australia i was concerned as to whether it would get through our customs. the exchange rate works beautifully, i can get a rob Allen tuna rail gun for about 200, 300 including shipping. if any one knows if it would work or not i would love to be enlightened :)

The gun will cost you 10% on top of the purchase price and shipping, but there should be no other problems. One stumbling block may be that the local importer has an arrangement that prevents private imports of the product. For example Mares and Salvimar have such arrangements, but not everyone observes them.

Hey pete
so if i were to buy just one or two from a seller would that be fine? would it get stopped due to other local importers? for me using the word import is probably isnt right more just buying for me and a mate, just dont want to lose my spear guns and money :)

Yes, it is really up to the seller, as I have bought spearguns from overseas for my own use on many occasions. Many years ago Australian Customs were somewhat difficult about spearguns, particularly about pneumatic guns because they were confused with air rifles, but that is now all past history. No such problems with band guns and just make sure that they are shipped in a cardboard box. Guns wrapped up with a foam covering that has no other support have arrived at times bent and effectively ruined, but that is a rare exception. Ask the seller to cover any spear tips with a cork or rubber chair leg foot to prevent sharp edges marking your gun as during transport things rub together inside the package unless everything is securely taped together to prevent relative movement. Spears are usually not latched in the gun to make the package slightly shorter by placing the spear alongside the gun, not in it.

Prices in SAR look insane compared to Aussies. But I doubt RA or FD will send you directly as there have authorised resellers in Australia. So you need to have someone in SAR who will buy on your behalf and send to Aus. Customs, not a problem. You may or may not pay duties and GST, depending on the value of the goods. Goodluck

You might try this seller https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rob-All...hash=item3d7f09eb6a:m:mjYnwlbu_14S7YKegECZZng

I bought some dive gear from him and had absolutely no problems. The price is AUD 279 plus 103 shipping which is 382.00. GST will be 10% on top which takes it up to AUD 420.20. Now you can buy one here from Adreno for 500 bucks plus 15 bucks for shipping and you will receive it in a couple of days. So you save about 95 bucks. Up to you which you decide on, however if the gun has a flaw you can get it replaced here no questions, whereas not so straight forward if you import it. You should have no problems, but it is a risk you take.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT