• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Improve underwater swimming distance outside of water

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ove

Mar 29, 2019
Hi!

Thanks in advance for any anwser!
I am trying to increase my underwater swimming distance (without fins). Unfortunately, I can only go to a pool once a week at the moment. Therefore, I am looking for effective ways to train for swimming longer distances underwater or at least make the whole thing feel a little more comfortable. I know that static apnea tables do not really help with this, so I switched to doing breath holds on a stationary bike (8x 35 seconds holds with 25 seconds of breathing between them, all while pedaling). Is this going to help me swim further underwater?

What else can I do at home to train for underwater swimming longer distances?

25 metres underwater used to be really challenging for me, now they feel „kind of“ ok. Now doing 50 metres comfortably is what I am going for, but everytime I manage to swim that far, it feels extremely bad after 30-40 metres.
Also, I used to be very afraid of water when I was younger because I almost drowned once as a child. It has gotten a lot better but I always have to motivate myself really hard to go to the pool. You guys have any tips on that?

Jaap Verbass has a book out on how to cross train dry for freediving, "Longer and Deeper" Paperback is cheap and the book is excellent. You can get it through Amazon or contact him at WWW.freedivewire.com.

More specific to what you are doing in the water, improving your technique should make 50m pretty easy. Look at lots of videos, get your neck weight just right,video yourself. Gopro footage of your swim will tell you a huge amount. Experiment with different breathups to see what works for you.

Reactions: Ove
Thank you, I'll give it a read and I will also try out the GoPro idea.
Do you think the exercise on the stationary bike is effective?

The exercise bike should help a lot. Just remember that it can take up to 20 minutes for the dive reflex to kick in. Maybe be kind to yourself for the first 5-10 minutes to let your body adjust, then push harder.

Reactions: Ove
Hi!

Thanks in advance for any anwser!
I am trying to increase my underwater swimming distance (without fins). Unfortunately, I can only go to a pool once a week at the moment. Therefore, I am looking for effective ways to train for swimming longer distances underwater or at least make the whole thing feel a little more comfortable. I know that static apnea tables do not really help with this, so I switched to doing breath holds on a stationary bike (8x 35 seconds holds with 25 seconds of breathing between them, all while pedaling). Is this going to help me swim further underwater?

What else can I do at home to train for underwater swimming longer distances?

25 metres underwater used to be really challenging for me, now they feel „kind of“ ok. Now doing 50 metres comfortably is what I am going for, but everytime I manage to swim that far, it feels extremely bad after 30-40 metres.
Also, I used to be very afraid of water when I was younger because I almost drowned once as a child. It has gotten a lot better but I always have to motivate myself really hard to go to the pool. You guys have any tips on that?

I feel the same way. I can barely break the 30-40 meter mark and cannot imagine doing 50 meters. 25 meters is mostly "comfortable"

For some other more experienced divers out there - how many times a week do you typically train if you have access to a body of water?

Based on personal experience, the best way to get past the fear is to make friends with the water. Take time to do underwater swims for short slow distances. While doing them, feel the water and the motion. You may discover that slowing down and becoming relaxed during each breathhold will allow you to improve all around.
walking, stairmaster, rowing, or exercycle with breathholds may all help too. Just don't hold to losws of motor control (LMS). Falling down can really hurt, and can also really be embarrassing.
And really important, have someone watching while you are training in the water.

Reactions: Richard Bender
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT