• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Improved Fish Chowder

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Jan 13, 2004

I cobbled this out of a basic recipe for freshwater panfish that I found in an American fish cookbook. The original was quite unimaginative so I decided it needed help. This is better . . . a lot better!

Improved Fish Chowder

4 slices extra thick bacon, cut up
1 lb. baby potatoes, whole
½ large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups stock
½ cup chopped baby carrots
¼ cup chopped cilantro
Juice of ½ fresh lime
½ tsp dried dill
1/8 tsp. anise seed
1cup whipping cream (or canned coconut milk!)
1 lb. white fish fillets, cubed

In a 3-quart saucepan or kettle, cook bacon until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan and sauté onion in bacon fat until soft. Sauté garlic 15 seconds and add stock, potatoes, carrots, cilantro, lime juice, dill and anise seed. Bring to boil and simmer 20 minutes. Blend in cream, add catfish cubes and simmer 3 minutes until the fish is cooked. Serve with hot French bread and green salad. Either beer or a Riesling would go good with this.

Hooo! That sounds good Oldsarge!
I am gonna try that, have you tried it with any shellfish ? mussels etc?
I only ask because they are plentiful here and I like em for texture.
Glad to see people still use bacon fat, thats some tasty stuff!

Huan,
I've never tried it with shellfish but there's no reason that it wouldn't work. Shrimp seems like a good choice and I'd imagine that sheepshead, with its definite crab-like flavor, might be even better. I'd eat it with mussels, but no one else in my family would. :(

Cilantro is the American name for Coriander.
I assume you know what Coriander is?

I don't have any at hand but if it lasts long enough to photograph the next time I make it, I'll post 'em. The problem is keeping my spoon out of it long enough to grab the camera" :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT