• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

In the Dog House... With Fresh Sashimi!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

blaiz

Apr 8, 2008
Well as the title says i have found myself in the dog house once again. I recently built a gun for my fiance and have been spending the last few days fine tuning my first build.

http://forums.deeperblue.com/homemade-spearguns/80743-haileys-pistol.html

I decided to take it out this evening even though conditions were less than desirable. My fiance wanted to go for a run on the beach so I opted to jump in with her gun and check the ballasting for one last time.

I swam out from the beach about 150 yards or so into about 60-65ft of water. We had a heavy rain this morning so there was a bad layer of silt that clouded the top 15 feet of the water column. Im not usually too scared of sharks but as everyone knows in hawaii... Its not a good idea to go swimming, surfing, especially spearfishing in murky water right after a rain storm (this was also the beach where I have caught a few sharks, one of which was a juvenile Tiger on a rod) That being said I couldnt seem to get the Jaws theme song out of the back of my mind.

When I reached the spot I had in mind for my first drop I did a slight breathe up and dropped down beneath the surface. Once I hit the 20 foot depth mark the water actually cleared up. On the bottom the visibility was probably close to 70 or 80 ft, unfortunately not too much action.

I figured I would take one or two more drops before I called it quits. The vis on the surface was no more than 2 or 3 ft so I didnt want to push my luck. This is the time of year when the BIG tiger sharks follow the Humpback whales into shore and that mixed with murky water is a recipe for disaster... or a severed limb:blackeye

I drifted with the current while I breathed up and started what I decided would be my last drop. Made it through into the clear water and down to the bottom. I laid there for close to 40 or 50 seconds all the while seeing no more than a few small reef fish. Not that I really wanted to shoot anything... I was just testing the buoyancy of the gun at depth

Just as I was going to leave the bottom I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. I panned to the side to see 2 good sized Ukus (a.k.a green jobfish, grey snapper). The larger of the two was the closest but not quite within comfort range of the 90 I had in my hand. I proceeded to calm myself and threw a couple of hand fulls of sand up in the water. The uku started to turn towards me for a brief second and then turned away again and swam out of range. As a last effort before I headed to the surface I grabbed a rock from the bottom and tapped the side of my...I mean my fiance's gun. The uku did a complete 180 swam up to within 5 or 6 feet of her gun and turned broadside.

I knew she'd be pissed if I took the first fish on her new gun but Ill take sleeping in the dog house with a fresh plate of sashimi any day!....BLAM... strung him right through the gills. Man it feels good to shoot a fish like this with a gun you made.

The Uku weighed 12lbs and I got a couple awesome prints for my gyotaku wall. Ill post some pics of the prints when Im finished with them.

Aloha

Attachments

• Airport Uku002 for web.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Airport Uku001 for web.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X and Jonny250
Nice fish bro. A guy from work left for Maui yesterday to spend a week. I'm not jealous one bit!! Noooo, not ME!

Hawaii, a fabulous speargun made with your own hands, a girlfriend who spears fish and beautiful big fish to boot. Life is good Blaiz. Look forward to seeing the gyotaku.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…