• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Independent athletes welcome

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tom Lightfoot

Aug 21, 2001
Hello to all competitive freedivers,

The 4th AIDA World Freediving Championships by Team is less than two months away! Ten countries are now confirmed and a few others are expected to join in soon. Most have women's teams.

Although this is a team competition, we have decided to open up the competition to independent athletes as well. If you haven't been able to convince enough people from your country to come out as a team, you can still come over to Vancouver to compete. You can also come out if you didn't make the cut for your country's team.

We are opening up the competition to fill out the numbers and better distribute our fixed costs.

The registration cost for independent athletes is $650 US which is the same cost for team-based competitors. As for the team-based competitors, the fee will pay for accommodation during the event, transportation to venues, official training sessions, safety support and judging. You'll also be listed on the aidaworlds2004 web site as an independent competitor and you'll show up in the individual standings for each event. You won't show up in the team standings. You'll also have to pay for your own drug test if you break a world record.

You can register online at
http://www.aidaworlds2004.com/cgi-bin/ind_register.pl

The deadline for all registrations and payment of fees is June 30th.

If you have any questions then you can contact Kirk, Mandy and me at worlds_info@freedivecanada.com

Hope to see you in Vancouver!

Tom Lightfoot
Webmaster
www.aidaworlds2004.com
www.freedivecanada.com

Registration deadline approaching

This is just a reminder that the registration deadline for the AIDA World Freediving championships is less than a week away. (June 30th).

So far we have had two independent athletes register for this competition and we have room for a few more. Go to http://www.aidaworlds2004.com/cgi-bin/teams.pl to see who is IN.

BTW: Water temperature here in Vancouver was 20c this past weekend and the deep water visibility was 25m. It has been warm enough for Eric to practice DEEP dives without a wetsuit at all and for me to wear my 3mm. (The same suit I wore at the last World Championships in Ibiza)

Tom Lightfoot
Webmaster
www.aidaworlds2004.com
www.freedivecanada.com
www.performancefreediving.com

Gggrrr I don't have the cash :(

But participating without representing a "nation" is cool, it's like John Lennons' "immagine there are no coutries.."

good luck, I'm sure it's going to be fun!

Kars

who is actually going?

anyone want to tell us they will be out there?

info on the official site is quite limited, hopefully there will be a few more people to play with than that

The UK is sending a full squad

Me - Captain/ Coach

Men - Mark Harris, Dave King, Dave Harries, Sam Still
Women - Sue Pugh, Hannah Stacey, Zoe Hall, Anne Marie Kitchen-Wheeler

and of course.. celebrity guest star

Deepest Bear

see you out there

Sam

Hi Sam,

I wish every team were as good at keeping us up to date as the UK team. The official site is updated as soon as country representatives and athletes register and update their own profiles.

You'll see more info on the site this week as we put the squeeze on countries and people to register before tomorrow's deadline. Greece has just posted their team member's names and the teams from Netherlands, Mexico and New Zealand are also posted.

The UK is of course the best for sending us athlete pictures so quickly. :)

The members for Team Canada will be listed later this week. The ranking list for eligibility is shown here:

http://www.freedivecanada.com/cgi-bin/team_ranking.pl

If you're without team then it's still not to late to come out and compete but you'll have to commit today or tomorrow.

Tom Lightfoot
Webmaster
www.freedivecanada.com and www.aidaworlds2004.com

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT