• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Inhaca Island Spearfishing Trip Report

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MozSpearer

Nov 19, 2013
PART 1:

Hi there all.

HEre's a bit of a report of my adventures on my last spearing trip.

Our group head off to Inhaca on the ferry after a three hour delay for some engine part. Hmmm... Any way we make it there and after a 35min ride to the campsite we are greeted with sunshine for the first time since dawn.

Next day I head for what I like to call Hell's Reef, since its in Hell's Gate. Having learnt to time my dives for when the tide is quiet from last year I waited till the next morning to go shoot some fish for dinner. After arriving to two other ''spearos'' in the water. THe reason for the quotation marks is because they were using a hawaiian sling with a bamboo twig as a spear. Wanting to respect their space and stay away for the safety factor I went a bit further down the beach.

After the first dive I located a nice little ledge to hang on to to prevent my floating up. I must say my weightbelt made all the difference in diving pleasure. After a couple of dives I spot 2 parrots and hit the one spot on. You should have the faces of the other guys. Just before they left my brother joined me and we started diving one up one down so as to not skewer each other.

THen the vis cleared up and then we could see our quarry more easily. Then FINALLY, after about 5 missed shots he shot his first ever fish! I was almost happier than him. The shot wasn't too well placed but it held. So we had some nice PB parrots for dinner. THen we took a day break from shooting, as we had plenty of food. Part 2 coming soon.

Cheers. Mozzie

2014 parrot.jpg

Part 2:

On the second to last day, me and my brother took our friend on his first ever spearfishing session. After giving him the basic safety protocol and gun handling techniques etc. I loaded the gun and handed it over to him. The current was still pretty quiet. So we stood on the rocks and waited for the prey to swim past. After a lot of misses, I took the gun and went for a dive or two at the ledge about 40m further out at about 10m. I was looking for some gamefish but not seeing any I shot a big Indian goatfish and gave it to the local fishermen there.

By now the current had picked up, and by now my brother took the gun with the floatline on and our friend was finning the surface to foam with the other gun. I then showed him how to dive down, as he was just shooting from the surface. After two ''tag-and-release'' shots, he was still determined to shoot his fish. So i loaded the gun for him each time and off he went. MEanwhile I was practising stalking fish which is quite a lot of fun I must say!

Eventually my friend snags his parrot! HE was very happy, but dissappointed at having lost his other ones since the were a lot bigger than this one. After this we decided to head back since the current was quite bad now and we had been in the water for about 2hours and he didn't have a wetsuit.

I was very happy that I could introduce another of my friends to spearfishing in addition to my brother. It's much more fun when diving together, provided you dive safely.

Cheers guys. Mozzie

PArt 3 with the big fish that did and didn't get away coming shortly...

Part 3:

LAst day of the trip. Woke up at 5am and then headed to our spot. My brother and I were in the water at 5:40am. THe current was already pulling quite strongly but still manageable. I breathed up and then dove to a spot between a little ledge and a pinnacle. I look to my right and see some nice stumpnose, quite tempting since I've been looking for them since the beginning of the trip.

I then look to my left, see some kingies...BUT THEN, to my left I see this HUUUUGGGEEE queenfish!!! I couldn't believe my eyes! I took a quick shot and it tore off at speed.

First dive and already such a fish on the spear! I had to let go of the gun and held on the floatline. My brother came to put in a second shot as I wasn't sure how well I had shot it. But he missed.. After drifting about 100m down stream the line went slack. I had held onto the line too tightly and.....It tore off!!!!!! I was soooooooooo mad at myself. I couldn't believe it. We estimated it at about 8-10kgs.

''GReat end for the trip'' I thought. Thereafter we walked back to our spot and got back in. Now the water started getting more murky, and quite spooky. We were diving one up one down and while my brother was getting ready to dive, a huge Ignobilis swam at the speed of light and caught a smaller fish! ''Now let me go get that Iggie'' I thought. He dived down and didn't get anything.

So I breathed up and dove down. I peered around the pinnacle's corner and there's Mr. Golden Kingfish, after a quick draw shot, he's on. My bro comes for a second shot, and just hits him. I give him enough floatline not wanting to lose him too. Soon afterwards I had him in hand and then swam to shore to sort out the tangle of lines and floats. But it was worth it! My PB for sure, but will let you know soon how much he weighted. Unfortunately the queenfish and kingie reefed my line quite a bit so might have to replace the line.

Didn't get anything else for the rest of the session, but a satisfying result. Lessons learnt: 1. Give as much floatline as you can and be patient in fighting the fish. 2. And take your time in aiming at the fish.

Feel free to give your thoughts and comments. Cheers. Mozzie
2014 nice fish.JPG

A lekker (good?) golden trevally. They are the best eating of all the trevallies. The top fish is what we call a blue barred orange parrot fish. Excellent eating! You're becoming quite a fundi (expert?).

Sharkey

Reactions: MozSpearer
Hi sharkey. Lekker is good. That is probably the best first word to use in afrikaans! The parrot was good eating! I'm sure the trevally will be too! I wish! If I was, I probably would've gotten the queenfish, but you win some you lose some. Thanks for the thought though!

NExt time I'll go early each morning to get my gamefish, no big gamefish later in the day

Thanks for your post.
Mozzie

Just remembered to say how much the fish weighed. It was 3.5kgs. My Pb. Lets hope its 35kgs next time! Haha. Cheers. Mozzie

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT