• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Interesting story.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Huw

Spearfishing enthusiast!
Jul 3, 2005
Hi everyone...

just posted this story into a few threads of specific interest, but thought i would share it with the others who are not regulars to those threads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/5172636.stm

I am not associated with the story in anyway... i merely stumbled across it on the BBC website!

Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Take care,
Huw.

Makos are among the fastest species of shark and can reach speeds of 30mph (48kmph) and jump 20ft (6m) out of the water.
Jump 6m out of the water?!?
I've seen videos of great whites jumping out of the water to catch seal but never a mako jumping 6m. Anyone know if this is true or just an exaggeration?

My mum used to guide treks along the coast in the South West of Australia, and she claims to have seen a couple of makos jumping out of the water. She has seen plenty of dolphins in this part of the world so I'm sure that she could tell the difference.

matrixed82 said:
Jump 6m out of the water?!?
I've seen videos of great whites jumping out of the water to catch seal but never a mako jumping 6m. Anyone know if this is true or just an exaggeration?

Podge and myself have been shark fishing off the beach in Namibia for Bronze Whalers and we witnessed them jump out the water. The guide said it was a common sight when there were plenty of fish about. It was a fantastic sight! Recommend the trip to any fishermen who like having their arms pulled out their sockets for hours on end! Strong fish!

Jim

Hiya

Saw these jumping mako pic's on another website:

Attachments

• Mako jumping 1.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Mako jumping 2.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 261
  • Mako jumping 3.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 266
  • Mako jumping 4.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 262
Reactions: Soul Deep
It COULD have been a mako (a 500lb mako was caught near the Eddystone by a Mrs Joyce Yallop in about 1971, and they have been recorded plenty of times in the UK) but how anyone can tell the difference between a mako and a (much more likely) porbeagle at distance I dont know. A general rule for actual shark sizes is to halve the witness reported size I am surprised it wasn't reported as a Great White
The mention of Bull sharks in the article refers to a report last summer. A surfer claimed he saw a bull shark pass under his board at Godrevy. it was certainly a long way from home, I think the nearest recorded Bull is at least 2000 miles further southrofl It was during a period of shark hysteria, a few days before the lifeguards had called everyone out of the water at Godrevy because they thought they saw a shark (I have it on good authority they did, a basking shark!)

cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

miles said:
Hiya

Saw these jumping mako pic's on another website:
Is it a bird is it a plane noooo its a jumping mako, I never thought they could clear the water like that, and here we are thingking getting back to the boat is save rofl

Mako are regular 'jumpers' when hooked by anglers. There are many documented instances of Mako jumping onto the boat where the angler is sitting!! They are also the fastest swimming of all the sharks. Remember, the sharks in the film 'Deep Blue sea' are Mako

A general rule for actual shark sizes is to halve the witness reported size I am surprised it wasn't reported as a Great White

rofl

I think we can apply this rule to this case, especially as the fishermen were in a small dingy! I think even a lobster would suddenly become some huge sea monster whilst aboard a little enough boat!

Over in Fowey we have had basking sharks galore, one of which, pushed the local ferry (mevagissy) out of the way, as it came too close to look at a young basking shark.

On the subject of jumping makos, i feel that although some degree of exaduration has been applied to the hight jumped - it must be a spectacular sight anyway.

Huw

Intrestingly, in cornwall basking sharks have been recorded breaching as well! Quite a site, one I will hopefully be witnessing in a few weeks... Wohoo... I love Cornwall

any idea why they breach?
I understand if they were hooked and dolphins do it for fun and some do while in attack mode, any ideas, to see a basker breach would be darn impressive but never heard of it before.

Out here, one of the Makos favorite targets are sword fish....from what I understand, the bigger ones cruise at about 90-100 foot looking for swordfish or seals basking on the surface above. when they aquire a target, they charge straight up fast, and try and rip the swordies tail off. Then they can eat it at leisure. we spend a lot of time looking down when paddy hopping out here.

Sounds like a good job that you keep your eyes open, although at the speeds that makos can reach i dont know if you could do much about it! rofl rofl

Huw

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…