• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Introduction from a newbie to Level1 Free Diving

Brbrown4007

Sep 23, 2024
Hello everyone,

My name is Bobby Brown, I am 68 yo.
I live in Wharton, Texas, which is southwest of Houston, Texas.
I am a newbie to Free Diving, certified with FII level 1, 22 Sept 2024 and a newbie on social media, this is my first post.
My class train at the Dive shop,San Marcus, Texas, with the open water session at Cayon Lake.
How low Cayon Lake water levels are, we were only able to dive to 10 meters.
I made it to 10 meters but I really need to dive more to get more comfortable with the 10 meters and to push towards 20 meters.
I am looking for someone or a group, I could free dive with, to hone my skill, both the dive and the safety diver procedures.

Hello everyone,

My name is Bobby Brown, I am 68 yo.
I live in Wharton, Texas, which is southwest of Houston, Texas.
I am a newbie to Free Diving, certified with FII level 1, 22 Sept 2024 and a newbie on social media, this is my first post.
My class train at the Dive shop,San Marcus, Texas, with the open water session at Cayon Lake.
How low Cayon Lake water levels are, we were only able to dive to 10 meters.
I made it to 10 meters but I really need to dive more to get more comfortable with the 10 meters and to push towards 20 meters.
I am looking for someone or a group, I could free dive with, to hone my skill, both the dive and the safety diver procedures.
Welcome Bobby!
By chance, was there anyone in your class that you'd want to reach out to in diving more with? If not, I've been able to find interested people to dive with through Facebook. Try searching for any local freedive groups in the area.

Reactions: Brbrown4007
Welcome to the world of free diving! It's great to hear that you've completed your FII level 1 certification. Diving to 10 meters is a fantastic achievement, especially as a newbie.

Thank you for the suggestion Finnianflyn,
I found the Austin Freediving and Spearfishing Community, on Facebook.
Here are a couple of my shortfalls/self critique (LOL):
1. I have to admit the mask squeeze took me back, I need to have depth, for more practice of my relaxation and breath hold.
The pool I began swimming in deepest end is 8 foot and the 15 foot pool my class trained in, I never had the mask squeeze or I did not notice it.
I had not experienced a mask squeeze before and when the mask collapsed, on my face, I immediately had the urge to breath.
The theory I understood, but reality took me a little by surprise,
2. My breath hold prep on a snorkel, I have messed with snorkels before, I had always did a quick burst to clear and I found that I was doing this initially on my breath up, instead of the slow exhale, but I will learn.

I was really hoping one of my grandkids would become a Freediver with me, no luck so far, but I have one I am working on.
My wife, kids and grandkids, think I am nuts wanting to get into Freediving, they do not see how it could be relax full.

I am still pumped from the class.

Thanks again,
Bobby

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT