• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Introduction Post - Unboxing Review: Mako Iconic Enclosed Track 110cm

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Twistedorder

Jan 3, 2017
Hey All,

Long time lurker, short time member, first time poster.

Since this is going to be my first post I will make sure this is an adequate and properly supported PERSONAL (I am affiliated with no businesses or blogs) review of the Mako Iconic Enclosed Track 110cm gun.

Background about me: I've been spearfishing for about 2 years now in San Diego, and up until recently, have been doing so mainly with a childhood friend. I joined San Diego Freedivers and met some great people who have helped me develop my skills further. I noticed immediately that my choice of hunting gear was inadequate for the level of diver I had become. I have only really made shore-dives and I took a trip out to the Coronado islands with some club members to have the time of my life. (FII Certified, First Yellowtail taken on small gun.. etc...)

I was using the below before purchasing the Mako:
  • Cressi Comanche 90cm
  • Cressi Geronimo 95cm
  • 6' Un-Branded Pole Spear
and they helped me develop my skills and hone my ability handle high pressure situations. After deliberating with the "crew" it was decided that my gear was below the level of fish I was wanting to hunt.

I spent the next 4 weeks doing a ton of research on what is going to be the most versatile gun I could still shore-dive with but also pop the illusive White Sea-Bass and not get killed doing it. I was looking for the following out of my gun, and wanted to make sure it checked all the boxes:

• Lightweight
  • Strong enough to handle the abuse against rocks and reefs on entry/exit
  • Relatively affordable
  • At least 5 meters of effective range
  • Compatible with my GoPro Hero 5

I landed on this, (and many others), forums reading nothing but fantastic things about Dano and the quality of his weapons so I took the plunge. I'm very pleased with it thus far and will continue to update this review once I land some fish with it.

UNBOXING

The Mako came in a long, thin box that was delivered via UPS 2-day shipping.
IMG_3320.JPG

The unpacking was easy and there was a pretty sweet-ass sticker on the side of the gun with the Mako logo on it. I'd really have liked if that was engraved onto the side, but the sticker had to come off because I didn't want to pollute the water if it fell off.
IMG_3321.JPG

The Bungee was already attached and free flopping around waiting for shooting line to connect. This process was also super easy. Up next, I had to remove the shaft/line that was zip tied to a few prefabbed tab on the inside of the box.

IMG_3324.JPG

The crimp appears to be super high-quality and gave me confidence I wasn't going to lose what I can imagine is a $80+ shaft on a big fish.

IMG_3328.JPG

The shooting line has some memory issues but that can be expected on most guns if not all. once I straightened it out and attached it to the bungee it seemed to forget its coil-position quickly. I attached the line to the swivel, which was REALLY nice it came pre-assembled, and snapped it shut.

IMG_3333.JPG

Snapped the shaft back into the latch and flipped the red safety switch to ON to test its functionality. Everything feels extremely secure and as well made as some of my buddies $800+ guns.

IMG_3335.JPG

Ran the line up, under and over the gun barrel to secure it and everything fit exactly as it was supposed to.

IMG_3338.JPG

Gave a few test trigger pulls and was still impressed with the overall build quality of the gun. my one complaint is that out of the box my shaft seemed to have a defective flopper. it stayed in the extended position after being gently moved there which indicates to me that I'm going to have to oil it up to get some more movement or I may miss/not penetrate/not stick a fish. May even contact Dano about it if I start to lose fish. Either way I'm pleased.

IMG_3328.JPG

I've got a full weekend of diving, (one shore and one open water), and I intend to put this thing through its paces. After I score some dinner with it I'll be back to update how it performs in the water. Thanks for reading and once I get in in the ocean for review, i'll post a few videos of it in action.

Dive safe boys,

Attachments

• IMG_3323.JPG
    IMG_3323.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3330.JPG
    IMG_3330.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 172
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT