• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland Spearing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Go for cressi. I was using both of them. Cressi is much better. Omer is causing few problem s. Took me a while to get this gun right. The quality of cressi is alsobetter

I have an omer. No trouble but heavy at the muzzle.
I don't use a reel. Not much big fish in my 15-20m depth range.

I have the Omer XXV Gold 75 which comes with a reel and no problems with it other than what Baldy has said in it being heavier at the muzzle end. At one stage I put a piece of cork from a wine bottle in the hole for the circular band and it did help but I found I've gotten used to the gun without it. It is a very accurate gun and well suited to hunting in the kelp, I've no other complaints about it.

I can only compare it with a Seatec Mini Roller 75 which has a greater range but it doesn't feel as sturdy or as solid a trigger as the Omer. I like the look and promise of the Omer Caymen ET but I've not had any experience with one, it does have a weighting system so it might be easier to balance it than the XXV.

I don't know about using the same gun for hunting in Irish coastal waters and maybe clearer open waters abroad, the 75 is ideal for lo-vis and moving through the kelp but I think you would need a bigger (100+) for targeting fish in clearer open waters.

Cheers for the advice everyone, I might just drop the reel for now and go for the Omer Cayman HF2 Speargun, it gets some good reviews although quite a few posts mention Omer's having problems with parts breaking.

anybody been to croatia spear fishing or just on a holiday in the summer months ? Is it dear and what the fishing and waters like?

I think you need a licence to spear over there - if you go, make sure you get it sorted!

I think they are very strict about minimum sizes / species as well.

Cheers for the advice everyone, I might just drop the reel for now and go for the Omer Cayman HF2 Speargun, it gets some good reviews although quite a few posts mention Omer's having problems with parts breaking.

I have this gun and it's not perfect. That kind of "crosshair" at the end of the gun is causing line damage very often (I had to remove it). I have lost one spear because of this. The original spear which came with the gun wasn't going straight by some reason (was dropping). I had to replace it. I think that the quality of materials used in cressi guns is also better.

... In Omer guns the "safety lock" is also too small and there is no way to use it when you in the water wearing gloves

Last edited:
I never use the safety lock. It's never loaded on land and never pointed at anything other than fish in the water. Missed my biggest bass due to the safety being on. Never again.

I never use the safety lock. It's never loaded on land and never pointed at anything other than fish in the water. Missed my biggest bass due to the safety being on. Never again.

Yes I know , I am the same but it's there and it should work properly

Good advice, I was going to get one in 95 before I got the rob allen!

Also... for anything bigger than a 75, get the reel.... tis peace of mind and results in less tear off's

Yes, I would buy 85cm for myself. Any advice on MARES?

I was looking at a few reviews for the Mares Phantom and it does'nt seem like a bad gun at a reasonable price, but 34 euro delivery from Scubastore is abit of a joke.
Its no wonder they offer low prices when they bump their profits up with delivery charges...

NO idea about mares.... s

Regarding scubastore or subprof... afraid that is a fair price for delivery... its a next day delivery service (assuming item is in stock) via DHL.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT