• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is Karma good or bad?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Is Karma Good or Bad for the Forums

• GOOD!

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • BAD!

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
As you may be aware, we have introduced a new feature onto the forums called "Karma".

I personally have had a couple of loyal users discuss this feature with me and I thought i'd give everyone a chance to talk about whether this feature is beneficial to the forums as a whole.

So, we have a poll above - plus all comments below...

hard to tell yet..

Now that we've had this karma feature for just few days its very difficult to say wheter its good or bad. It just is there..
Ofcourse its good to get some thougths on your post wheter people did like it or didnt.

Tuomo

The feelings are mixed - some people like the idea, some don't.

The main worry for people is that it will cause users to stop posting.

However, others are keen to be able to help keep the level of discussion high and seem to think this might help.

Reactions: LaJollaFreedvr
good or bad...

I think Karma idea sounds cool...
I have found some really good tips and advice from these forums and the ones who have given them should be given thanks...karma is fun way of doing just that;)

I guess I haven't seen it long enough, or possibly missed the info on it. But what is is and how do you get it? Do you get various degrees of it or what? BTW- This is a great website, congratulations to all involved. Thanks.
Jay

Reactions: andrsn
popularity contest?

just cause i'm a freediver, doesn't mean i'm NOT lazy. :D

i don't think you'll get an accurate rating on people. it seems you're assuming you'll have an active participation from a nominal amount of your post'ers. i think only a few will pursue this, and then it's in their hands to accurately rate everyone.

i know the deeper blue staff is busy, but it seems accurate ratings might have to come from staff opinions. i think the safer/easier thing to do would be to have people rate themselves on experience level in certain divisions as per the post on buddy ratings.

just my opinion,
anderson

Thanks everyone for replying - i've been out of town for the weekend so only just catching up...

Well I can say that the Karma ratings seem to be popular, people are certainly using them...I suppose it my be the silent majority :)

Jay - You can find out more about Karma in the announcement:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/announcement.php?s=&forumid=7

Buddy ratings is something i'd like to introduce - and am looking into how to do it but there is a matter of finding time! I promise to have something in place before Christmas.

I think we might be taking too much of a serious look at Karma - it's only supposed to be something fun, but your right Andrsn, there has to be a critical mass, however it looks like people are using it so we'll see.

and who'd a guessed america would have donated over $80 million to relief efforts to the attack last september. that's great that people are using it. is there a karma that can say i'm just lazy? :D

there's a great group here and i'm sure the quality of posts will invite other people around the world to participate.

later,
anderson

"Karma" reminds me of junior high "slam books" to an extent--can be fun, but also hurtful. (And I{m not just saying that because I'm the kind of poster people love to hate.)
One thing that can happen with ratings like this (and I write for several websites that are reader-rated) is that it creates a sort of status-quo power, where those who have unpopular opinions or are not as good as expressing themselves get shunted off to being less-read than those who are saying what everybody else is already behind.
But it's an interesting experiment if not taken to seriously or used to slag people. It occurs to me that it might work better to permit plus karma, but not negative. (Under the old "Thumper's Mom Principle"--If you can't say something nice, put a sock in it."

Reactions: donmoore and Erik
Snorkelbum,

Originally posted by snorklebum
"Karma" reminds me of junior high "slam books" to an extent--can be fun, but also hurtful. (And I{m not just saying that because I'm the kind of poster people love to hate.)
One thing that can happen with ratings like this (and I write for several websites that are reader-rated) is that it creates a sort of status-quo power, where those who have unpopular opinions or are not as good as expressing themselves get shunted off to being less-read than those who are saying what everybody else is already behind.
But it's an interesting experiment if not taken to seriously or used to slag people. It occurs to me that it might work better to permit plus karma, but not negative. (Under the old "Thumper's Mom Principle"--If you can't say something nice, put a sock in it."

Thanks for your opinion - however, I think everyone has shown that they are quite tempered in the way they view posts (even from one's people love to hate :) ) and the hope (which certainly seems true at the moment) is that everyone will reward thoughtful posts, even if they don't necessarily agree with the poster - the idea is to reward insightful and thought provoking posts rather than penalise people. However, i'm giving it a trial run to see what people think.

Originally posted by snorklebum
[BI{m not just saying that because I'm the kind of poster people love to hate.)
." [/B]

I love ya, ya big lug,
Erik Y.
ps, where the hell have you been? And I dig your website, too.

weighing in...

Lose it.

It may be just me, (OK it is), but I think that the content of the person's submission should be held available and accountable for review and comment without there being an avenue to throw an un-signed slam at him/her.

I'd be fine if you had to sign your name to each Karma, that way you could reply. But there's enough room here it seems to go over a submission without having to have a few folks with agendas being able to have the final say. I for one don't really look at a person's Karma before I read their stuff, unless it's completely wacked, in which case I'll scroll around to see what they're on. Let those with comments do so on the open field.

sven

Karma???

I just don`t care about karma. I am trying to find answers to my question and answer their question if i can.Some friendship and gossip is good also.I don`t know how to get a Karma as well but this don`t bother me because who cares if someone loves my post it`s ok if not :martial Muhahahaa Just kidding.

Just wondering.....
Is threre anyway to automatically attach a persons name to the karma? I don't mind someone disagreeing w/ me, not likeing me or my comments but if you're gonna slam someone in a retaliatory strike in karma then at least own up to your comments. It like going out in the parking lot and keying someones car that you dislike. Pretty childish. I know this has all been said before. Take it or leave it.
Jay

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Jay-
BTW, what kind of car do you drive? <G>
Good seeing you at DEMA - hope to dive with you again soon.
Cheers,
Mike

Reactions: donmoore
The world is a risky place for a new car ; ). Getting keyed might not be the worst thing that could happen to it : (.

Mia

Should of seen that one coming.....Good to see you and Joe also. Better than the last time;) I was going to head over to your shindig but couldn't remember where it was and then I couldn't find you. Oh well, next time. Take care.
Jay

I've seen it, looked at mine (pretty low still) and even given it (if a guy with little Karma can even give any), but really don't pay much attention to it most of the time. Papa Smurf, you need a button that allows the "No Idea" vote.

My only comment about karma is that, a couple of months ago, someone said they tried to give me some but couldn't. Is that an isolated glitch?

So I tell myself I probably have much more karma than is showing up, it's just the darned system malfunctioning ...

Frank, I was the one who tried to give you some karma for posting some of your really nice photos from Southern Califronia.

I just tried doing it again and your name still comes up with an error notice.

Stephan should try and fix that if he can.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT