• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is Low Pressure An Advantage Or A Concern?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Julie Daniluk

Oct 1, 2016
My low blood pressure (90 over 50) is fine while I am under water but I notice when I get to the surface, my blood pressure drops suddenly and recently lost my vision for a second. Can anyone advise strategies on preventing black out and is my low pressure is an advantage or a concern? It feels like an advantage will I am down because my personal best is 3 mins and 10 seconds with out formal training (I am a newbie) but sure don't want to black out regularly or it might be dangerous.

The drop in blood pressure when you start to breathe is normal, it is part of the release of vasoconstriction. Normal also is for your blood pressure to rise during apnea. In general a low blood pressure can be good for static attempts (why beta blockers are illegal in competition) but there is anecdotal evidence that divers with a low baseline bp may be more susceptible to blackout. Heavy training may also increase your baseline bp since high hematocrit will influence bp, and training can raise hematocrit. Learn to hook breathe.

Reactions: Julie Daniluk
Eat a lot of salt, carb and fat before diving should help. Don't pop your head too high, too quick upon surface, maybe doing it like lying on the surface of water, gain conscious, then lift your head

Some instructors teach hook breathing after a dive. Take a quick deep breath and hold it for 3-5 seconds while squeezing your diaphragm and chest walls. If properly done this will up the blood pressure in your torso and head.
It's a surface blackout, caused by low blood pressure. I've had them, and I've even seen them during world record attempts. With such low bp you should make this a routine until you can figure out whether it works for you.

The drop in blood pressure when you start to breathe is normal, it is part of the release of vasoconstriction. Normal also is for your blood pressure to rise during apnea. In general a low blood pressure can be good for static attempts (why beta blockers are illegal in competition) but there is anecdotal evidence that divers with a low baseline bp may be more susceptible to blackout. Heavy training may also increase your baseline bp since high hematocrit will influence bp, and training can raise hematocrit. Learn to hook breathe.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Eat a lot of salt, carb and fat before diving should help. Don't pop your head too high, too quick upon surface, maybe doing it like lying on the surface of water, gain conscious, then lift your head

I will try this. Thanks for your input

Some instructors teach hook breathing after a dive. Take a quick deep breath and hold it for 3-5 seconds while squeezing your diaphragm and chest walls. If properly done this will up the blood pressure in your torso and head.
It's a surface blackout, caused by low blood pressure. I've had them, and I've even seen them during world record attempts. With such low bp you should make this a routine until you can figure out whether it works for you.

Great advice. So grateful you took the time to write real sound tips. I will try this asap. Thank You

I would suggest 2 more things to practice.
When you approach the surface (last 1m) have the snorkel out of your mouth, and approach the surface with your head back, so that if you do have a problem at the surface you will be floating on your back. Also, make sure you are positively buoyant at the surface, so that you can float on your back of necessary.
beyond that, just be careful.

I would suggest 2 more things to practice.
When you approach the surface (last 1m) have the snorkel out of your mouth, and approach the surface with your head back, so that if you do have a problem at the surface you will be floating on your back. Also, make sure you are positively buoyant at the surface, so that you can float on your back of necessary.
beyond that, just be careful.

Both amazing suggestions. Would you have any suggestions for how to stay positively buoyant? With my wet suit I have to use weight and can't ditch it.

You need to able to ditch at least 50% of your weight for safety reasons. Also you should be weighted so you are positively bouyant at the surface, for safety reasons. It sounds like you may be overweighted, which is dangerous but easily correctable.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Being
You need to able to ditch at least 50% of your weight for safety reasons. Also you should be weighted so you are positively bouyant at the surface, for safety reasons. It sounds like you may be overweighted, which is dangerous but easily correctable.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes, I think I use the weight to reduce the amount of kicks but it is a dangerous game because I have to tread slightly at the surface. I see how I need a good teacher. Thanks so much for your time.

As noted above, remove weight from the best until you can float at the surface without moving. The down side is that you will have to work harder to get down, and neutral buoyance depth will be greater. Play with your diving and floating as you remove weight. You will need to play with it in order to find the best result, balancing your diving with safety.

Reactions: bombadil
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT