• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is pneumatic the way to go?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Your test is really flawed. Modded pneumatics where water doesnt enter the barrel fire much much faster. It is flawed with the simple fact that water causes way more friction than air.

Yes there is indeed also way too many variables for the test to be conclusive.

The test I did was for personal result comparisons, and it was very good. I didn't document the tests because I didn't do it to prove anything to anyone.

The test wasn't flawed because both guns were shot in the same circumstances and at the same target. There might be differences between the mod gun and the original, but they appeared so small to me it wasn't worth it. I just never found the increased performance.

Either way, I'm too happy using band guns to go back to the pneumatics.

Alex, I dont doubt you test results in fact I quite like the coconut test idea.
However I would guess that one of the seals was not correctly seated because there is a very noticeable difference between an air gun that has a barrel full of water & one that does not?
Did you say you still have the gun, perhaps you can test it again?

Anyway, IMO it's quite a waste/blunder to install a Mamba kit on a Cyrano 750 (like Alex did) :naughty If properly installed, 75cm airgun will be too powerful for its designated use and will loose its positive properties as a medium/short allrounder.

The Mamba kit is something to upgrade aspetto canons (90cm minimun, better 110cm and +).

Cheers, ulysses

Anyway, IMO it's quite a waste/blunder to install a Mamba kit on a Cyrano 750 (like Alex did) :naughty If properly installed, 75cm airgun will be too powerful for its designated use and will loose its positive properties as a medium/short allrounder.

The Mamba kit is something to upgrade aspetto canons (90cm minimun, better 110cm and +).

Cheers, ulysses

initially that was my thought too, but enzo (the mamba company owner), has performed some tests on a cressi SL 70 kitted with mamba and he was very happy with the outcome...i think he used a 7mm spear not the regular 8mm though..
the test is actually documented on his site but my italian is limited to ciao bella :)
cheers

Actually, when starting out (2002) Enzo has rightly been reluctant to sell the Mamba in any version below 90, but silly customer demand finds their seller ...

It's not a question as to whether a shorter airgun can be mambatised or not, and hence increase performance, the issue is: Does it make any sense? IMO: that's a clear 'No'. The best feature of a 70cm airgun is its versatility and therefore the standard version with power reducer is the way to go.

Cheers, ulysses

I still have the guns, but never use them because I prefer to use the band guns.

I have to agree that the Mamba kit for the 750 is probably a waste, but didn't know that at the time I purchased them. I was using the 8mm shaft on mines.

Perhaps you should put the mamba up for sale on db?
I use 6.5 & 7mm spears on my mamba kitted guns.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT