• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is the Doria the "Everest"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dr Scuba

Managing Editor
Jan 5, 2000
Reading one of the posts and someone refered to the Andrea Doria as the "past" Everest of deep/tech
Is this still the case - if not what is the Everest for Tech'ies

Everest

Everest is the highest point above sea level. To reach the 'Everest' of the ocean, you must dive to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, some 10,000m down, the lowest point below sea level. Pretty simple!

The next challenge was to climb Everest without oxygen. So, in the ocean, the same challenge exists; dive to the bottom of the Mariana trench without oxygen!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

following that logic - i wait for the freediver to do the trench - everest without o2 - the trench without gas

I thought, and someone more knowledgeable can correct me, that the reference to the doria as the "everest of diving" was related to the relative difficulty and number of fatalities related to reaching either destination. Also the parralel between the variety of technical skills required to reach each...

Thanks James - you hit it on the head - the question re Doria i posed was in that vain. For many years the Doria has been regarded as one of the hardest (well known) wrecks to dive, just as Everest has been climbed whilst not being the hardest climb it is the pinnacle - there is nothing higher
I was just interested to find out with the inprovements in Equipment and training - gas mixs et al - is the Doria still regarded as an ultimate acheivement for tech divers - if not what other dives are now regarded as pushing to the limit?

It lies in 250 ftsw, but I don't think the depth is the only challenge that must be overcome. Conditions in the open ocean can be perilous, heavy current, waves etc...

Doria

The norwegian/croatian diver 'Kike' (Kristian Curevic) freedove the Doria (in constant weight!) If it can be freedove, it can't be all that hard for the scuba guys.

The 'death' stories I've heard are about guys 'going it alone' in hopes of finding china (porcelain collectibles).

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

People can easily go there on air .
Here in my country it's pretty "normal" to go to that depth on air.

I dove the Andrea Doria 4 times to date. Depending on the tide you can reach the bow at 275 feet and I have gotten to the sand at the 300 feet mark. The bigest chalange I encountered there was the currents and the collection of fishing nets and monofilament. It is a dive that requires many hours of preparation, phisicaly, mentaly and lots of reading.
On my last dive to the Doria, 1 diver lost his life because he got traped on the boat due to lines, resulting in drawning.
Visit my web site: http://www.peterferreira.com

Well, I haven't dived the doria, however, I was diving with a couple of divers in Narvik this year Mike Boring & Brad Sheard, they both have done the Dori quite a few times.

It's not so much the depth of this ship, but the planning, tidal currents and the urge to find something, with so many false trails that have duped divers into the wreck and got lost by not laying lines etc.

The everist I would think would be the Carpathia but I would't want to do it on oxygen as this would kill ya.

tata

Well the Andrea Doria -sunk in the 60s- claims the title of the "Mt Everest" of wreck diving (not generally scuba diving , actually) because of the death toll of divers visiting the wreck for a good souvenir. Portholls, china, and other stuff from the luxury liner are the most wanted items a wreck diver can get. (That depends on the diver allthough - I personally prefer an Enigma machine ;) )

Anyway I'll dive the Doria in 2005 with the Wahoo, and if everything goes well, it won't be as challenging for me as it is now, because (I hope) I'll be part of the 2004 Britannic Project, which TDI Greece will host in the Aegean.
The Titanic's sister which lies her thousands of tons in 120m of water some kms out of Athens... :D

Three men from my diving club organized an operation of making a documentary about a Austro-Ugarian wreck "Zenta" which is lieing at 75 meters 3 miles south-west of Petrovac (Montenegro).
They used air for their dives and there were no problems.
They stayed 15-18 min at the bottom and did 80-90min decompression. I want to say that with good organization and
preparation you could easily go to Doria on air.

I also know of the title "Everest of deep/tech " and yes, I myself refer to the Andrea Doria as that.
The Andrea Doria is in its self not outwardly a hard dive (IF YOU ARE PROPERLY TRAINED), however several things make this a dive that requires detailed and meticulous planning, its main factor being its depth, and here is where I am sure I will draw much criticism for my comments: - Deep Diving on Air as we all should know is extremely dangerous and as we all know that diving on air beyond a depth of 60 meters (195 feet) can and will induces CNS toxicity, plus the effects of narcosis (the martini effect) at these depths become extreme.
The second factor of course is the fact that divers who dive the Doria Will/Do and Want to enter the wreck which returns to my point of narcosis…narcosis can disorientate even the most experienced of divers (of which I do not even pretend to be one), which leads to my third point… use of a real and line on the Doria should be considered a must…
My point to all this…Diving on any Wreck, Reef or any dive site beyond the PP (partial pressure) of 1.6 of O2 is a deadly combination.
But that’s just my view.
And too my final comment… anybody who has dived the Doria weather it be on Mix, Air or even to my complete and utter shock... free dived, I have the great respect and admiration for.

To Oze

Oz...man did you hear about adaption on narcosis.
With adaptation dives you can easily do some "work" underwater to some 60-70 meters of depth and it's proved.

Triton,

There is no such thing as adaptation to 02 toxcity!

If you convulse underwater at depth you will most likely DIE!

You should do a little more research on a real tech diving site to get more information. No one on this list has agreed with your deep air diving ideas for a reason.

Narcosis adaptation doesn't really happen. If you do a bit more research you will find that out. You can overtrain yourself to remember simple tasks while intoxicated, but you cannot multi-task in case of an emergancy.

There are so many ways that you can die deep air diving that I don't have time to list them right now. THere is a reason that the tech diving agenices have limited their "extended range" classes to 185'- people died!

Please do some more research on your own before you try this dive. Don't take my word for it, go and talk to others to convince yourself. Trimix really isn't that hard to do. GUE has even come out with a recreational triox class that you can take for no-deco diving.

Jon

I didn't mean o2 toxicity adaptation.
And .......have you ever been to 75 meters on air?
I'm not saying that deep diving on air should be done ,OK,i'm just saying that it's possible to do SOME deep dives on air relatively safe.

adaptation to 02 toxcity

With all due respect. You better do some reading or you are going to be another statistic.
Diving to depths like the Doria on air, where I have gotten to 300 feet to the sand, would be possible if you got to the bottom and go back up to the surface, but what a gamble! It gives me the bends just thinking about it.:(
Never take chances, it's your life, 1 mistake and that's all you need to become a statistic, another number. I've added a picture from a dive at the Doria.

a friend,

Peter Ferreira
www.peterferreira.com

Attachments

• andrea_doria_diver_over_boat_deck.jpg
    andrea_doria_diver_over_boat_deck.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 530
Reactions: Jon
I DID mean 02 toxicity adaptation.
You can try and adapt to narcosis all you want, but 02 toxicity is a crap shoot every time.

Try and pick up a copy of OXYGEN AND THE DIVER. I think that it was written by a British diving physician. It is all about his 02 toxcitiy experiments.

I also suggest, again, that you put this question on a real technical diving forum and see what kind of a response that you get.

I have stopped all of my deep air dives at 218' beacuse that puts my P02 limit at 1.6. Now, I don't go below 100' unless I am on trimix. Actually, I use triox on my dives shallower than that due to the other advantages that it provides over air and nitrox.

There are some real safety concerns that others have tried to address for you on here. The tech diving agencies used to teach deep air diving to 220', until people started dying in classes. They have since backed it off to the 165'-185' range depending on which agency you are talking about.

You might even want to send a PM to the tech diving forum moderator and ask him in private what he thinks about it. He is a world record holder and could add in much more than I have tried to.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT