• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is there a category for deep diving records without using goggles, fins or weights etc

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

deepfrost

Nov 10, 2017
I can't find any reference on the internet for a category of deep diving where a diver uses no external equipment whatsoever, not even ear plugs.
I reckon this would be a very interesting category for deep diving records.
An ordinary mens or womens swimming suit is of course acceptable.
But then again, maybe nudists could set up a Nude Deep Diving Competition.

Reactions: Freedive N Egypt
What you are describing is diving in a completely natural state - no technology allowed. You could argue that a swim suit provided some benefit - streamlining, warmth. So nude would be the way to go.

Reactions: skinnydipper
In 2008 at the vertical blue competition I did 67m/220ft with no air (exhale), no wetsuit, no goggles, no nose clip. I did use a monofin. If you disallow all equipment the record is -81m/266ft by Sebastien Murat of Australia, done around 2005. Exhale dive, no fins, no mask, no goggles, no nose clip, no wetsuit.

Reactions: arca_tern
I have always wanted to try going down with "nothing" but have felt nervous about "the unknown..." I am extremely attached to my equipment. I am going to take some baby steps with it climbing up and down the line the next time I hit the water. Well, wetsuit is staying on this time of year ;) Thanks for the motivation to knock me out of the comfort zone!

I have always wanted to try going down with "nothing" but have felt nervous about "the unknown..." I am extremely attached to my equipment. I am going to take some baby steps with it climbing up and down the line the next time I hit the water. Well, wetsuit is staying on this time of year ;) Thanks for the motivation to knock me out of the comfort zone!

I did 80.5m/263ft, in 3'05" in Vancouver in winter with no wetsuit, the water was 5C/41F, so cold water is no excuse to dive without a wetsuit. On the contrary, it is lovely to feel the water flowing over your skin, and getting this feeling in the middle of winter gives a great feeling of power over the elements.

Reactions: skinnydipper
I did 80.5m/263ft, in 3'05" in Vancouver in winter with no wetsuit, the water was 5C/41F, so cold water is no excuse to dive without a wetsuit. On the contrary, it is lovely to feel the water flowing over your skin, and getting this feeling in the middle of winter gives a great feeling of power over the elements.
The middle of winter I've always known is like 20c/68f water with 27c/80f days! I will never complain of the "cold" here again. Now I gotta chart the temps at my favorite spot and take a free-freedive at the end of my sessions. How cold will it go this year? Thanks again. Fighting the boredom of routine can be tough and these ideas are great!

Doing anything in the sea with minimal equipment can sometimes be good for kerbing the old ego, to remember that the sea can eat you up and spit you out in the blink of an eye. Over confidence is as deadly as ignorance, in my opinion (y)

Reactions: J Campbell
Why is it that the vast majority of freedivers rely religiously on wetsuits. Even when diving in ridiculously warm waters above 25c ?
I always found being confined in a rubber suit, shutting me off from contact with the water so contrary to "free" diving.

Reactions: HLanger1955
Why is it that the vast majority of freedivers rely religiously on wetsuits. Even when diving in ridiculously warm waters above 25c ?
I always found being confined in a rubber suit, shutting me off from contact with the water so contrary to "free" diving.
I agree. BTW as I'm often use the lunch break for some short dive in the sea I cannot bring along much gear...

Unless I'm in exceptionally warm water (90 degrees) I will get cold when freediving. And for me, cold means less relaxed and shorter breath hold time. When I freedive I spend alot of time motionless; slow easy breathe-up followed by slow relaxed movements underwater - I don't generate alot of heat. So I need a wetsuit and then I need weights to counteract the wetsuit. But I agree, when ever I'm done with a dive session I like to strip down to just me, my speedo, and goggles and feel the total freedom of unrestricted movement underwater.

Reactions: Richard Bender
Unless I'm in exceptionally warm water (90 degrees) I will get cold when freediving. And for me, cold means less relaxed and shorter breath hold time. When I freedive I spend alot of time motionless; slow easy breathe-up followed by slow relaxed movements underwater - I don't generate alot of heat. So I need a wetsuit and then I need weights to counteract the wetsuit. But I agree, when ever I'm done with a dive session I like to strip down to just me, my speedo, and goggles and feel the total freedom of unrestricted movement underwater.
All very true. And it's all, always, a matter of personal style and preference.
My own way is to opt for fewer dives (If I really get cold), but enjoy the ones I do in the way I like to do them. As in, a swimsuit and a noseclip. That allows me the closest connection to the whole experience.
Also, it's been by now well proven and documented, that one adapts to what one gets exposed to. Both physiologicly, and even more so psychologicly.
If one always shields themselves from the elements, one will always be sensitive to them. On the other hand progressive exposure will yield to a certain degree of adaptation.

noa --> "Also, it's been by now well proven and documented, that one adapts to what one gets exposed to. Both physiologicly, and even more so psychologicly. " I agree with this. The pool where I practice is 82 degrees. I often skip the wet suit and enjoy a half hour or so of natural diving. But after awhile I sometimes start to actually shiver. Then begrudgingly I don the wetsuit and continue. Hopefully if I continue doing natural dives I will adapt to longer and longer times before I get cold.

Exactly. As an open water swimmer that swims year round without wetsuit ( aka swim condom) I can attest to progressive adaptation.
When continuing frequent water exposure after the summer ends, I find myself swimming just as comfortably in the middle of winter.
Of course the waters I swim in are not cold.
They range from 27-28 celcius at the peak of summer (which is actually uncomfortably hot for swimming) to 15c at their coldest in the winter.
Same for diving. Much less heat is generated compared to swimming, but with adaptation and some technique tweaks I dive in the winter just in a swimsuit.

Exactly. As an open water swimmer that swims year round without wetsuit ( aka swim condom) I can attest to progressive adaptation.
When continuing frequent water exposure after the summer ends, I find myself swimming just as comfortably in the middle of winter.
Of course the waters I swim in are not cold.
They range from 27-28 celcius at the peak of summer (which is actually uncomfortably hot for swimming) to 15c at their coldest in the winter.
Same for diving. Much less heat is generated compared to swimming, but with adaptation and some technique tweaks I dive in the winter just in a swimsuit.

Such a lucky man to live in an area where you can swim year round! *Green with envy* :wacky:

noa --> "Also, it's been by now well proven and documented, that one adapts to what one gets exposed to. Both physiologicly, and even more so psychologicly. " I agree with this. The pool where I practice is 82 degrees. I often skip the wet suit and enjoy a half hour or so of natural diving. But after awhile I sometimes start to actually shiver. Then begrudgingly I don the wetsuit and continue. Hopefully if I continue doing natural dives I will adapt to longer and longer times before I get cold.

You can do it...my swimming season is almost over unless i join an indoor pool but in NY they are very "Gestapo" about breath-holding...

You can do it...my swimming season is almost over unless i join an indoor pool but in NY they are very "Gestapo" about breath-holding...
Are there any free diving clubs that organise pool trainings somewhere close to you ?

I wonder whever you had a buddy around at these temperatures :)

their is no category like that but the closest discipline to what you want is to do Dynamic no fins, or Constant weight no fins....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT