• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is there anybody on this forum thats in the WI IL area that spearfishes?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

StusG62

Jan 12, 2019
I have loads of experience from hunting all over the world. I read the regulations around here and its sad. However, I want to get wet. Who wants to go?

There are several forum members in WI. Try browsing the Buddy/Regions of the forum under USA. Post a new thread there if you like.

It would also be worth searching the forum I tend to use Google, e.g. "DeeperBlue.com (Wisconsin,WI)".

I lived in north Illinois for several years and have happy memories of Wisconsin, which reminded me of my rural roots in England. My interests back then were rock climbing and triathlon rather than spearing tho'.

Great! Where do you go and what do you hunt? I’m going to hunt Lake Geneva for pan fish.

:) Lovely area. I swam in Lake Geneva 4 or 5 times, in the triathlon. It started & finished at Fontana , if I recall correctly. One the most aggressive/ physical swims because of the weird course shape, people swam into and over each other much more than normal, which made it tiring. The run, up around the hill top observatory felt a lot harder than the flat Chicago triathlon too. A good race to finish the season tho.

I don't the visibility being good but perhaps that's because of all the people splashing around.

I recall a discussion some years ago about spearing at Devil's Lake. A bit further to travel?

:) Lovely area. I swam in Lake Geneva 4 or 5 times, in the triathlon. It started & finished at Fontana , if I recall correctly. One the most aggressive/ physical swims because of the weird course shape, people swam into and over each other much more than normal, which made it tiring. The run, up around the hill top observatory felt a lot harder than the flat Chicago triathlon too. A good race to finish the season tho.

I don't the visibility being good but perhaps that's because of all the people splashing around.

I recall a discussion some years ago about spearing at Devil's Lake. A bit further to travel?
I’d be down for that

Great! Where do you go and what do you hunt? I’m going to hunt Lake Geneva for pan fish.
I am in Milwaukee, always wanted to check out lake Geneva but was lazy to drive there. Let’s get in touch and discuss details in early May. We will need to figure out where are the best spot(s) there to park and shore dive.

Reactions: StusG62
I am in Milwaukee, always wanted to check out lake Geneva but was lazy to drive there. Let’s get in touch and discuss details in early May. We will need to figure out where are the best spot(s) there to park and shore dive.
Sounds good. I’m picking up a kayak to fish off of. They have a rule you have to have a boat or something there to be the platform with flags. Lots of boats are around there.

Have you tried diving in Lake Michigan?
(I swam there too, in the Milwaukee triathlon).

Back in 1998, yeah, it was too cold. Haven’t since been in lake MI. Curious about the perch in there.

I have been in lake MI entering in WI, has shot some freshwater drums there (sheepshead”). I have seen little perch there over recent years. Unfortunately, this might be because of declining population, there is little to eat for small perches because something changed dince 1990s (?zebra mussels play a role).

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi everyone, I realize that this is coming long after the original post but hopefully one of you in the WI/IL region will pick it up. I currently live in Madison and enjoy both freediving and spearfishing. Devils Lake is a great place to go. I have seen lots of bass but no huntable species (i.e. panfish) during freedives there. Regardless, its a fun place to visit. If you enjoy climbing we could switch activities and get on a rope after diving which could make for a fun multi-sport day. I am also up for checking out other areas as well.

Hi everyone, I realize that this is coming long after the original post but hopefully one of you in the WI/IL region will pick it up. I currently live in Madison and enjoy both freediving and spearfishing. Devils Lake is a great place to go. I have seen lots of bass but no huntable species (i.e. panfish) during freedives there. Regardless, its a fun place to visit. If you enjoy climbing we could switch activities and get on a rope after diving which could make for a fun multi-sport day. I am also up for checking out other areas as well.

I’m by lake Geneva. Waiting for the water to warm up a little more before I go hunt. Not sure I wanna Drive a couple hours to swim. Maybe kayak

I’m by lake Geneva. Waiting for the water to warm up a little more before I go hunt. Not sure I wanna Drive a couple hours to swim. Maybe kayak

How's the spearing been over there in Lake Geneva? How's the visibility? Surprisingly it is still holding over here on Lake Mendota and I've made some nice hauls these last few weeks. If this visibility is good I'd be interested in diving there with you in the next week or two.

Reactions: Mr. X
Hey, just had a chance to see this. I haven’t even gone yet. It’s been cold. Am interested if you want to meet up in Williams Bay or Fontana to kayak out and load up on pan fish.

I may go spearfishing this Sat or Sunday afternoon. It would depend on if my wife gets off work early enough. I will not be going far from Milwaukee. I can keep you updated if you potentially could go, let me know.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT