• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

IT and Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hennie

Jan 18, 2002
I am very curious to know how many freedivers out there's occupation is IT related.

In our small South African group the majority of freedivers, spearos, are in some way all working in the IT environment.

Wonder if this qualifies for Rippley's believe it or not?

How about a survey and what do IT people find so interesting about freediving?

Freedive-cyberspace?

Just a thought?

Yep one Dutch IT-guy overhere. :D

Probably a lot of IT people in this forum, after all you need a PC and internet connection to read this. So I don't know if this can really be classified as some remarkable coincidence.

Add me to the IT count. I have to agree with Jvoets, probably a disproportional number of IT people here.

balance

Hi,

I have had that experience as well. I used to work on mainframes for 13-15 hrs. for a few days in a row, and the only solution to rebalance my psyche was to go work in the woods for a few days doing very physical work. I suspect a similar process occurs with many IT workers, and what a great way to find balance, connect with the ocean.

my 2 cents,

FD48

and...

I don't suppose anyone would be overly shocked to hear that I work in IT?

:king

Ja ok ......

I'm a frustrated programmer in Cape Town .... stuck in the cold water in my skivvies 'cause my wetsuit got stolen on Thursday :naughty ... along with some longblades adn a mask .....

But hey, IT's not too bad. You gotta pay your dues some way or another (Dues = sporting equipment)

:D :D :D

Like Hansie said:
The devil made me do I.T.

Yet another computer freak

I am in the IT business too.

Recently I had a strange feeling that my freediving activities actually enhances my ability to think in such a way that complex IT problems becomes much easier to solve.

I recently reviewed some source code from a project I made before I started freediving. Now I am able to spot a lot of bugs just by looking at the source code. I easily optimized some complex recursive functions. I remember that I earlier used countless hours even to get the same functions working.

Perhaps this has nothing to do with freediving, but I have a strange feeling that freediving has enhanced my IQ.

Sometimes I even laugh of my self because I in the past has solved some programming tasks in a stupid way. Now I am able to make a simpler and more streamlined solution.

Does anybody else have similar expirence?

Br.
Jesper

Last edited:
IT & IQ ....

I can't really speak of IT versus diving, since I've been spearfishing for 11 years and only been into IT for about two. But I can tell you this much: I'd rather be diving than programming !!!

Viva la Blue !!!!!

mee too.

I have done IT work since 1988.
Before that I worked 3 years as Radio Officer on RoRo and tanker ships.

Reactions: Erik
Network admin

OK, now for the usual 'programmer' banter .....

Finally,a network administrator with ambition ..... wants to become a programmer !!

:D
Riaan C

no comment

Must be a NT guy, no root man would do that!

It guy here to! Any job for a DBA (Oracle, nobody's perfect) near the sea out there? I'm in britanny, the sea is 1 hour drive away and that's still a little too far from me.

If you like clear blue sea with big games, you dont like the city, and dont like people walking around with gun, where on this planet can you get a job as an IT?

Gaining or loosing IQ

Jesper,

i agree that since i started doing freediving i have benefitted in my work as well.I am more focused and i find problem solving a great challenge.

Also less stress, if something upsets me i just picture myself diving, going through my predive prep and all my worries get left behind.

So let's get a workshop going where we sell to the IT world that freedivers are more productive people!!!!!!

Hennie

IQ?

I have to agree with Hennie and Jesper,

But that might be because I don't drink, smoke or do any other bad things anymore. And the fact that I started to do Ashtanga yoga once every day. The only problem is that I'm daydreaming about freediving all day...

it??not me

I just gotta say I am not working with computers.......yet, well hopefully not in the near future, I am studying to became actor...
freedive as much as I can afford...:duh

square eyes

yep me too (fx compositing design), seems that getting in the sea or the pool is a cure all for sitting in dark edit suites staring at a screen.
one benifit ofworking with computers is more access to sites like this (instead of working);)

and yet another one

I'm also in the IT world.
I'm infront of the PC 8+ frigging hours a day, which is really making me a wuzz. Thats the reason why I've been asking a lot of dry static questions, can't be in the water as much as I want to.
(I'm even holding my breath as I type right now, hehehe).
But what I hate most about my job is that it requires me to work in shifts because of clients abroad. Plus I don't get to get both weekend days off. Bummer...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT