• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Italian Spearfishing Regulations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sasheo

Mar 3, 2007
Hi
Im going to be travelling round italy for a month or so in the summer and was wondering if anyone knew what the regulations are for spearfishing in the sea?
Do I need a licence and if so how do I get one?

Thanks for your help

Chris

No license required for spearfishing in the italian seas: just do it.
But you must take note of the following regulations:
-no scuba hunting
-no night hunting
-it is mandatory to dive with a float of buoy with red-white flag and keep within 50 meters from your buoy.
-it is forbidden to keep the speargun loaded out of the water, even on boats of just above your float board
-in summer it is forbidden to spearfish within 500 meters from beaches if swimmers are present (but you can hunt if you go very early in the morning, assuming there's nobody swimming so early)
-stay 200 meters away from ports. harbors, marinas and aquaculture fish breedings
HARVEST LIMITS:
-no lobstering, no scallopping: it's illegal for divers
-groupers are protected: you can cacth maximum one grouper per day
-total daily harvest: maximum 5 kilograms per day, unless one single fish exceeds that weight (example: you can exceed the limit if you catch for example a 23 kilograms amberjack plus 4,99 kilograms of other "mixed" fishes, but you can not exceed the 5 kilogram limit if none of the single fishes caught is singularily over 5kg. Silly, isn't it?)
MARINE PARKS
-check where you are. There are some 60 marine parks all over the country where spearfishing is strictly forbidden. So wherever you go, make sure that you're not inside one of those marine parks.
You're welcome

Last edited:
Reactions: josedesucre
Nice one spag, i'll bear all of this in mind if i travel over next year sometime!

Huw

Are the rules the same for freshwater spearfishing?

Thanks for the info Spag, am new to spearfishing so dont think I will have too much trouble with the weight limits!!
One more thing, what about bringing my gun with me do i need to do anything special like get a certificate at the airport or anything?

thanks for your help

Chris

what about bringing my gun with me do i need to do anything special like get a certificate at the airport or anything?

thanks for your help

Chris

For Shasheo:
Spearguns are not classified as weapons for the italian law: they're freely sold to anyone as common sport gear, and you can legally bring them around wherever you want. But one advice is useful: don't call or declare them as "guns", because if any airport operator hears of reads the word "gun", he will not resist the temptation to check it, and it will be a useless hassle and waste of time both for you and for him. If anybody asks, just say it's "fishing gear". That's it. Only one time in Milan airport my spearguns have been taken to the police office to be scanned, but no problem: I went there, they checked my guns and gave them back to me with no problem.
For JPPLAY:
Yes, same regulations for lakes, with only two differences:
-in lakes you need a fishing license (cheap for foreign tourists, about 20 bucks), while in the sea you go free.
-in the three major italian lakes where spearfishing is allowed you can spear EVERY species of fish. But still in lakes (only in lakes, not in the sea) you can not spear a fish during the reproduction season of his species. For example, pike is barred this month because italian pikes are making love presently. We can start again to spear them from the 1st of April, when their reproduction season will be officially over. Nothing like this in the sea: you can shoot sea fish with eggs (but I rarely do, my choice)

Last edited:
You have no fish limits in the lakes? You guys have some strange regulations. Most places they give you a book to follow. Thanks for the information though. Hopefully I will be in Italy next year and do some spearfishing.

Spaghetti... does the 5kg limit in the sea include lobsters, crays or octopus etc?

Huw.

No JPPLAY, seems I did'n't explain well: in lakes too you have to stay under the 5kg limit. I just meant you can shoot every species of fish (they're all legal: pikes, walleyes, trouts, carp, bluegill, eels, black bass, everything), but within the daily total 5kg harvest limit.
Yes Huw, octopus and crabs count for the limit. But also check my first post above about lobsters.

Hi
As spotted before I as so far I was inactive on our forum – the reason is I dislike internet, besides the must at work.
I have read some interesting post and have an question!
In recent days we are planning a sailing trip around Sicily. Personally I am declared spear fishing enthusiast, but my friends on this boat are not and are planning to take their scuba equipment. I know that spear fishing is forbidden with scuba- I never do it, but what I have heard (unofficial) is that it is also forbidden to have spear gun and scuba gear on a boat even
if you don’t uses it at the same time?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT