• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

IWC World Static Apnea Contest, Monaco 21-23.07

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Vlado

Apr 19, 2004
I know it was announced before in the site news but.. I could not resist to post again the info for those who might have missed it!

Biggest Aim : to privilege the show and spectacle ; a first worldwide

During their performances, the apneists will be filmed and the contest directly transmitted onto a wide screen. Each athlete will wear a monitor during their apnea so that their heartbeat may be simultaneously transmitted onto the screen

The competition:

1. Each athlete is drawn at random to compete against an other athlete.
2. The CONTEST uses direct elimination within pulls composed of two athletes.
3. Two pulls compete every twelve minutes (2 groups of 2 competitors).
4. The winner of each pull is the one of the 2 athletes who stays underwater the longuest.
5. The final pull will be composed of the last 3 competing apneists.
6. The international judges will be present as the world record in this discipline may be beaten (The Federation of reference in Freediving World record homologation is AIDA).
7. The athletes may be submitted to a drug control test at the end of the competition if the World Record is broken.

The Athlets:

SIETAS TOM
VENTZKE DOMINIQUE
FATTAH ERIC
PERNETT KARL
CURAVIC KRISTIAN
RYUZO SHINOMIYA
SEVERINSEN STIG Avall
NOWICKI ARNAUD
MIFSUD STEPHANE
BATTAGLIA GASPARE
VERBERK DERON
STROMBERG BILL
WOLLE NEUGEBAUER

I think we're going to have a really hot summer!

More here:

http://www.pierrefrolla-organisation.com/presentation_en.php

Last edited:
I don't see T. Sietas in the athletes list.
He doesn't take part of the competition?
What a pity!

CU in the Blue,
Edu

Read the list again...and start with the first one :)

The organisation better check the new rules with respect to the use of pulse monitoring ;-(
So in case an AIDA world record is broken this might become an issue.
A real pitty since I also always use a hearbeat monitor during my statics and just found out it is not allowed any more. (so samba is ok but checking you own pulse isn't ???)

How about not letting the athlete look at the monitor and just let the crowd enjoy?

I think The Sloth is right, nothing like brute force statics! :D I'm all for doing it without any technology, just relying on one's own perceptions, at least in competitions. Otherwise we could have two different static modalities: Assisted and unassisted statics. he he...

Adrian

I think to keep both the crowd and the AIDA bobo's happy that would be a good option. Let the crowds enjoy the fading pulses and some occasional flatline hihi

if anyone would like to buddy Deepest Bear to this event, please let me know. He is desperate to go but I can't make it. Applicants will be closely vetted just PM me...

Sam

Tom Sietas wasn't invited because of drug-taking presumptions about him .

Last edited:
OceanMan said:
Tom Sietas wasn't invited because of drug-taking presumptions about him .

Check this former news, he was invited. There has to be another reason. Maybe he can tell us here.

But he was cleared! How can this be?

Adrian

I haven't read anything about this? What are the reasons, have they seen him use drugs? Or is it because they want the competition to be more even? Can they not let him compete on the basis of presumptions??

Hi,

I think this case needs to be discussed publically. A few weeks ago I received this mail:

Dear Tom,

I am sorry to inform you that the Organizing Committee of the competition has decided not to retain your application.

Your performances of the past months have created a debate with regards to the integrity of your results, after several doping controls with very controversial outcomes.

We would like to organize a friendly competition, without any suspicion and debates, and in this light your case is insolvent. After numerous meetings with our partners and after hearing the athletes' point of view, it was decided that you cannot be invited to this years World Static Apnea Contest in Monaco.

Believe me, I am sorry for this decision. I strongly advise you to clean up your image and to re-establish a positive and healthy image of our sport.

deeply,

I don’t understand this, AIDA considered me negative. The disciplinary comission of AIDA has publically admitted their mistake and there is no serious reason why I am treated like that. If you want to know any details don’t hesitate to ask.

People created a debate on rumors without any realistic background. This must not lead to conclusions like that. I have handed in the most important facts to Pierre and he wanted to discuss the case again.

I hope that rumors are not powerful enough to influence Pierres competition in this negative way.
I understand that sponsors have great power but the main focus should be on the sports perspective and the athletes.

I would be very sad, if I am not allowed to take part. I have been training very hard to reach my goals and I think I don’t deserve this.

Now let us get to something more important: The sports perspective. Today is a very happy day for me because I have reached an important personal goal… check here: http://www.tomsietas.com/ rofl

Now enjoy your dives and all the best for your trainings…. Tom

Reactions: jome and naiad
Congratulations Tom, that's a wonderful achievement! It's always a great feeling to achieve a big goal and I think that's as big as they come.

As for the rest of the above discussion, as far as I am concerned in a hundred years' time you'll be remembered for all the right reasons.

Best regards,
Ben

Hi Tom,

Congratulations on your 10+!!

I think it's very sad that they won't allow you to compete in this event. If I was invited and they did something so unfair, I would refuse to go myself! Maybe an idea for the rest of the athletes that are going..... Suppose it was one of you that was treated like this! Athletes should stand up for each other when one's innocence is not disputed.

But maybe the organizer doesn't want Tom to be there, because if he goes, he would most likely win....

Sad...

The above is my personal opinion.

Panos Lianos
Athens, Greece

Big congratulations TOM.
I´m very sorry about all this, that competition would´t be the same without your participation.
Hope that Pierre understands that all was a big mistake, that AIDA accept.
Congratulation again

Reactions: donmoore
pat fish said:
mail to pierre

Dear Pierre Frolla

It is widely discussed in the freediving community, that Tom Sietas is not allowed to take part in the IWC World Static Apnea Contest, Monaco 21-23.07.05. We are very disappointed with the decision to exclude Tom from the contest and would like to adress you to review your decision on that topic. His latest results under AIDA rules and the negative doping tests have proven his integrity. The credibility of sponsors and the hole event depends on your decision: just think over all the negative press reports about the IWC World Static Apnea Contest not allowing the man who does 10min+ statics because of rumors about positive drug tests who have obviously been negative.

Yours
Pat

... maybe all members of the freediving community who are dissatisfied with the exclusion of tom from the contest write an email to pierre@pierrefrolla.com

Yours
Pat

Reactions: donmoore
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT